Your bowling attack for the Ashes assuming everyone is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broad, S Curran, Archer, Stone, Wood, Robinson/Overton

Anderson to bow out, after another impressive, home summer.

Any three, from six

Supported by Leach and another.
Sibley
Burns
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
S Curran
Leach
Archer
Broad

Opening test at Brisbane
Actually, both Broad and Anderson to bow out, after another monumental summer

Buttler should be not even be close to not been in the side the form he has showed in the last 18 months

Buttler should be not even be close to not been in the side the form he has showed in the last 18 months
He can't be arsed to play three Tests in India.
He's presumably gonna miss the NZ series because he can't be fucked.

We can't afford to carry anyone half-committed in an Ashes tour.

If he can't be fucked to decide where his priorities lie, then bye-bye.

I thought the rotation was decided by the management team not the individual?

Could see Curran getting swing at Melbourne and Sydney. Barring injury I think the five bowlers with stokes as five have been called correctly

anderson, broad, woakes, leach and stokes. Then if we are rotating the likes of archer, wood, Overton, Bess and virdi cone into play

Could see Curran getting swing at Melbourne and Sydney. Barring injury I think the five bowlers with stokes as five have been called correctly

anderson, broad, woakes, leach and stokes. Then if we are rotating the likes of archer, wood, Overton, Bess and virdi cone into play
You have forgotten stone

Ive changed my mind on this, he was badly missed when he went home

We need him like, one of the first names on the teamsheet alongside Root, Stokes and Jimmy

Not happy with rotation but i want to win the Ashes

Ive changed my mind on this, he was badly missed when he went home

We need him like, one of the first names on the teamsheet alongside Root, Stokes and Jimmy

Not happy with rotation but i want to win the Ashes
Did we though? I don't think there's anything Foakes didnt do that he would've

In my view, Buttler one of our best players of spin, in those pitches, could easy see him getting a few run a ball 50s
Hmm maybe you're right mate, but I'm not entirely convinced. Don't get me wrong we know he's a class player, but his record in Tests doesn't make me think he was an enormous miss.

I think we've got to the point now where it doesn't matter enormously who our WK/7 is, they all have flaws, and they all churn out similar results.

Obviously we all have our preferences on who we think should have the gloves, but I don't think it matters too much which one you go with

Imo even if Jos had stayed out there, the performances and results would've been the same

I do think the Archer criticism is still a bit OTT. He’s never excited us as much as we hoped, but his record is still better than Wood’s.

id still go wood ahead of him in Australia. But it’s not like he’s averaging 40 with the ball or anything
I agree were a bit biased on here regarding wood.

But then he's been excellent in away tests and it's been unfair that they have prioritised playing archer instead of him.

What is most annoying about that is a Archer is still not fit and I dont think he has been since the Ashes. So why have they persisted in playing him.

But then I don't get how he was like a man possessed in the IPL. Which surely won't have helped his elbow.

If they want him to play test cricket and he wants to play test cricket.

He has to take time out to get fit. Screw playing white ball as he won't be as effective in that either.

But he'll probably play every game in this series and the IPL.

Then still not be fit for red ball and
be largely ineffective as we've seen him since the Ashes.

I agree were a bit biased on here regarding wood.

But then he's been excellent in away tests and it's been unfair that they have prioritised playing archer instead of him.

What is most annoying about that is a Archer is still not fit and I dont think he has been since the Ashes. So why have they persisted in playing him.

But then I don't get how he was like a man possessed in the IPL. Which surely won't have helped his elbow.

If they want him to play test cricket and he wants to play test cricket.

He has to take time out to get fit. Screw playing white ball as he won't be as effective in that either.

But he'll probably play every game in this series and the IPL.

Then still not be fit for red ball and
be largely ineffective as we've seen him since the Ashes.
I'm not a Durham lad but I agree with everything said about Wood. I don't think it's bias - he's genuinely been our xfactor bowler and one of our best performers for the past 24+ months, and has been treated shockingly

Hmm maybe you're right mate, but I'm not entirely convinced. Don't get me wrong we know he's a class player, but his record in Tests doesn't make me think he was an enormous miss.

I think we've got to the point now where it doesn't matter enormously who our WK/7 is, they all have flaws, and they all churn out similar results.

Obviously we all have our preferences on who we think should have the gloves, but I don't think it matters too much which one you go with

Imo even if Jos had stayed out there, the performances and results would've been the same

I just cant agree like, Buttler been excelent and England have been excellent for 18 months

Foakes is a world class gloveman, no doubt about that, but Buttler just brings more to the table and we miss his presence, as well as his batting, and his keeping is good too

IMO anyway
Great piece by Athers on Bairstow in The Times

Can post if people dont have it, interesting stats before he was messed around

"In a week when the obituaries for his Test career have been sung loud, that maiden hundred in Cape Town also stands as a reminder of the fine run of form he enjoyed as England’s wicketkeeper-batsman during a period of stability for him. Between November 2015, when he got the gloves off Jos Buttler, to May 2018, when he was moved up the order from his wicketkeeping berth at No 7, Bairstow played 33 Tests, averaged a tick over 46 and scored five of his six Test hundreds, as well as ’keeping excellently."

Totally and utterly mismanaged. Feel for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back