Yann M’Vila

A few days later, I learned they were signing Didier Ndong from Lorient for €17m. I’m not going to lie, I took it very, very badly. I had come to London to sign with them the last day of the transfer window. I trusted what I’d been told.

That line makes me hate Moyes even more than i thought was possible
one of the worst signings from one of the clubs worst managers. I'm pleased he's being found out at West ham now.

Was it Khazri who played then?
Nah Cattermole
Kirchoff played behind M'vila and Cattermole. Allardyce and his methods got Kirchoff through. Whether that would have extended till the next season we would never know.

But Moyes playing him in a central midfield two, rather than in the role in front of the back 4 in preseason twice in 72 hours after injury wasn't exactly managing him well given even under Allardyce he was generally ready to come off around 60 mins.
Aye Kirchoff hardly trained and didn’t play midweek games iirc he was absolutely done but BSA knew how to get the best out of him and keep him going till the end of the season

Last edited:
Nah Cattermole

Aye Kirchoff hardly trained and didn’t play midweek games iirc he was absolutely done but BSA knew how to get the best out of him and keep him going till the end of the season
Moyes didn’t appear to make any adjustments to training or consider the playing schedule and pretty much finished Kirchhoff. Obviously he was always injury prone but it can’t be entirely coincidental that BSA kept him fit for just about the longest spell of his career. Wonder whether Anichebe would have fared better if he’d had better management?

Didn't want to open this thread. Not signing this guy was one of the worst decisions the club has ever made.

Not taking the opportunity to sign a proven international class midfielder, who was desperate to sign for us, for only £7m, was beyond belief.

"Nah we can maybe get him for free in 6 months time, let's hang on until then".

Had a good loan year but there's nothing to suggest in his career that he would have come back and be a success long term. Also see fabio borini as an example. That's not to say that singing n'dong was a master stroke though...

Nah Cattermole

BSA knew how to manage players. I was always confused why he was called a Dinosaur when used loads of sports science to keep players fit... im sure under him we seemed to have less injuries. Or was it the fact players wanted to play for him so little niggles were ignored by the players (bar Rodwell.) As soon as Rodwell went there seemed to be lots of players injured... was it training methods or they just hated the mood hoover managing them.

So you tell me who held a gun to Moyes' head and told him he had no choice but to sign those 2 clowns?

But but Big Sam, but but Bain!

Ah yes, there was only 2 players for sale in the whole of football anyway, so what could he do?

The stupidity of this argument never fails to astound me.
So you think it was in moyes' interests to hold out for a free transfer and spread the cost of the n'dong transfer fee? I wouldnt go round calling people stupid if you think that the manager is in charge of the club's finances

Had a good loan year but there's nothing to suggest in his career that he would have come back and be a success long term. Also see fabio borini as an example. That's not to say that singing n'dong was a master stroke though...
All relative, he’s mostly been good wherever he’s played but seemed to have found home when here, I think he’d have been very good.

So you think it was in moyes' interests to hold out for a free transfer and spread the cost of the n'dong transfer fee? I wouldnt go round calling people stupid if you think that the manager is in charge of the club's finances

Did you actually read what I wrote? 😂

What is certain (cast iron, not conjecture) is Moyes had a certain amount of money to spend over a certain period and he oversaw the purchase of 2 obsolute clowns.

His watch, his fault, 100%.

Did you actually read what I wrote? 😂

What is certain (cast iron, not conjecture) is Moyes had a certain amount of money to spend over a certain period and he oversaw the purchase of 2 obsolute clowns.

His watch, his fault, 100%.
It wouldn't have been his decision, the club made the decision to save money in the short term and assumed they would get m'vila for free later on. Moyes did a lot wrong but I don't think this was down to him

It wouldn't have been his decision, the club made the decision to save money in the short term and assumed they would get m'vila for free later on. Moyes did a lot wrong but I don't think this was down to him

Eh?

So a new manager (not coach) comes into a club and the CEO says, hi David welcome. I know you'll be after new players and we only have a limited budget so to start you off we've decided to spunk almost your entire budget on the 2 players on this bit of paper...

Seriously? You think that's how it happened? 😂

One of the main jobs of a football manager is to assess the merit of players. Whether that is for team selection, to buy them or to sell them. It's in the job description.

Brian Clough for example delegated most of that job to Peter Taylor and later others too. He often said I signed all the good players and the bad ones were signed by Ronny Fenton (his assistant) 😂 However, Cloughie knew as well as anyone that he would be judged and ultimately held responsible for every player 'he' signed.

Still don't understand how anyone could think Ndong could be a better fit
... Moyes was on an ego trip constantly, could have signed Mvilla and developed from there but preferred for his ego to transcend like some managers into that 'I'm in charge shite and bring in others'.... Roll to the below list of shite signed by that bellend

Ndong
Pienaar
Gibson
Januzaj
Etc etc
What a minging list man 🤢

Eh?

So a new manager (not coach) comes into a club and the CEO says, hi David welcome. I know you'll be after new players and we only have a limited budget so to start you off we've decided to spunk almost your entire budget on the 2 players on this bit of paper...

Seriously? You think that's how it happened? 😂

One of the main jobs of a football manager is to assess the merit of players. Whether that is for team selection, to buy them or to sell them. It's in the job description.

Brian Clough for example delegated most of that job to Peter Taylor and later others too. He often said I signed all the good players and the bad ones were signed by Ronny Fenton (his assistant) 😂 However, Cloughie knew as well as anyone that he would be judged and ultimately held responsible for every player 'he' signed.
He would have had a say of course but ultimately it was the club who decided to save the money on m'vila

He would have had a say of course but ultimately it was the club who decided to save the money on m'vila

Yes, but this conversation and the previous one were about Didier N'Dong! I have never passed comment about us not signing M'Villa. I and others don't know the full details.

I do know Moyes master plan.

Plan A - Sign M'Villa
Plan B - Sign any fucker

Total incompetence by Moyes.

David Moyes signed N'Dong! Nobody made him sign N'Dong. He could have signed Cory Evans for a couple of million. He would have been better than N'Dong but not good enough to keep us up but we'd have saved £10M!

Just found the Cloughie quote from Brian Laws:

'He said if you are a good player, you can tell everybody that I signed you and if you're a rubbish player then you can tell them Ronnie Fenton bought you' 😂

BSA knew how to manage players. I was always confused why he was called a Dinosaur when used loads of sports science to keep players fit... im sure under him we seemed to have less injuries. Or was it the fact players wanted to play for him so little niggles were ignored by the players (bar Rodwell.) As soon as Rodwell went there seemed to be lots of players injured... was it training methods or they just hated the mood hoover managing them.

When BSA went to America as a player he got seriously into sports science and he says it extended his career. He took that into management and given football is all about small margins he was almost a bit ahead of the game. it's what's probably helped him, along with good man management, to get the best out of so many misfits or players at the ends of their careers etc. It's cost a lot of money in terms of back room staff, cryo chambers etc but it brought results.

Obviously football over here has probably caught up now, but the fact under Donald and Methven when they asked who used the cryo chamber that was costing so much the answer was "Martin Bain uses it sometimes" when we know previously it was commonly used shows the slapdash half arsed approaches going on at the club after Allardyce left.

Current board would sign the likes of Ndong for around £170K instead of £17M
The L’Orient chairman even came out after and said they couldn’t believe how much we were bidding. £16m was madness.

IIRC when we first signed M’Vila the club article even stated we had an option to make the loan permanent. Somewhere along the line we realised he’d only have 6 months left on his deal at the end of the loan so we got him to sign a pre contract in the hope that Kazan would take a smaller fee in the summer as having signed the pre contract he was away for free a few months later. Kazan called our bluff and he ended up signing a new contract. Martin Bain will never make a poker player!

Moyes didn’t appear to make any adjustments to training or consider the playing schedule and pretty much finished Kirchhoff. Obviously he was always injury prone but it can’t be entirely coincidental that BSA kept him fit for just about the longest spell of his career. Wonder whether Anichebe would have fared better if he’d had better management?
Allegedly used to walk round the AOL without hardly a word or a smile to anyone. Clearly didn’t want to be here but likes the ££££ does Davey Sourface and his agent brother and his son who was an agent but is now a scout for WHUFC!!! 🙈

Last edited:
A few days later, I learned they were signing Didier Ndong from Lorient for €17m. I’m not going to lie, I took it very, very badly. I had come to London to sign with them the last day of the transfer window. I trusted what I’d been told.

That line makes me hate Moyes even more than i thought was possible
Criminal really when you think about it.

I was never and am not critical of Ellis Short as he did put significant money into the Club but those he had running the club at the time were beyond useless.

Back