Yann M’Vila

A few days later, I learned they were signing Didier Ndong from Lorient for €17m. I’m not going to lie, I took it very, very badly. I had come to London to sign with them the last day of the transfer window. I trusted what I’d been told.

That line makes me hate Moyes even more than i thought was possible
Why didn’t the club sign him under Fat Sam £6m ? as soon as the season ended

More to this than Moyes

It was Bain not Moyes. In came down to the fact Rubin Kazan wanted the £7m up front but we could pay £13.6m to Ndong on the never-never spread over years and years and still get M'Vila on a free 6 months later.

Ridiculously short sighted and summed up that regime.
This

A few days later, I learned they were signing Didier Ndong from Lorient for €17m. I’m not going to lie, I took it very, very badly. I had come to London to sign with them the last day of the transfer window. I trusted what I’d been told.

That line makes me hate Moyes even more than i thought was possible
He's the kiss of death, I really hope he takes west ham down, just to prove once and for all what a complete failure he is. f***ing poison.

He also helped keep Kirchoff fit in my opinion. He was the legs and Kirchhoff was the rolls Royce. As soon as he had to cover more ground he broke down again. (BSA prob played a part in that too behind the seems)

Kirchoff played behind M'vila and Cattermole. Allardyce and his methods got Kirchoff through. Whether that would have extended till the next season we would never know.

But Moyes playing him in a central midfield two, rather than in the role in front of the back 4 in preseason twice in 72 hours after injury wasn't exactly managing him well given even under Allardyce he was generally ready to come off around 60 mins.

Kirchoff played behind M'vila and Cattermole. Allardyce and his methods got Kirchoff through. Whether that would have extended till the next season we would never know.

But Moyes playing him in a central midfield two, rather than in the role in front of the back 4 in preseason twice in 72 hours after injury wasn't exactly managing him well given even under Allardyce he was generally ready to come off around 60 mins.
He played a lot more minutes towards the end of the season though. Allardyce managed him brilliantly. Like Mensah though without his injury problems he'd never have played for us.

You are trying to absolve a very experienced manager with lots of very good connections (on £50K a week for that very reason) for spending over £20M on rubbish players on, at best a wing and a pray.

It is complete and utter incompetence of the part of David Moyes.

Yeah there was incompetence throughout the club but the signing of players buck stops at the mangers door.
But yet next to no managers in football nowadays have as much control over transfers as you're suggesting, it just isn't how football works anymore. The only Sunderland manager to have that much control since the Steve Bruce days over a decade ago was Allardyce, but only because he absolutely insisted on it as a condition for taking the job. We literally had Netflix cameras there a year later showing Bain meeting with scouts, phoning agents trying to get any deal he could possible get without any input from the manager and quotes from Coleman on how he recommended a few names but Bain couldn't get the deals done and came back with others. Moyes left Everton 3 years prior and managed Man United and Sociedad, do you seriously think he said 'Martin, please don't sign the well known French international who my good mate Sam recommended, I want you to pay twice the price for an unknown kid from Gabon instead?'

It's not absolving Moyes, he was a disaster and a f***ing wanker, its just the reality of how football works.

Not disputing that Bain will have said 'we're going to do this, is that ok?', but as a new manager who had only been at the club a few weeks, in the middle of an injury crisis and in need of bodies, there is a massive difference between him agreeing and actively pushing for it.

It's backed up by all of the local press, none of whom have a good word to say about him so are hardly trying to absolve him like the nationals do. Its also well documented that the players hated him and he bought in a load of yes men who he'd managed before and harped on about needing more Britishness directly because of the likes of Kone, Ndong and Papy - Pienaar even said that.

But yet next to no managers in football nowadays have as much control over transfers as you're suggesting, it just isn't how football works anymore. The only Sunderland manager to have that much control since the Steve Bruce days over a decade ago was Allardyce, but only because he absolutely insisted on it as a condition for taking the job. We literally had Netflix cameras there a year later showing Bain meeting with scouts, phoning agents trying to get any deal he could possible get without any input from the manager and quotes from Coleman on how he recommended a few names but Bain couldn't get the deals done and came back with others. Moyes left Everton 3 years prior and managed Man United and Sociedad, do you seriously think he said 'Martin, please don't sign the well known French international who my good mate Sam recommended, I want you to pay twice the price for an unknown kid from Gabon instead?'

It's not absolving Moyes, he was a disaster and a f***ing wanker, its just the reality of how football works.

Not disputing that Bain will have said 'we're going to do this, is that ok?', but as a new manager who had only been at the club a few weeks, in the middle of an injury crisis and in need of bodies, there is a massive difference between him agreeing and actively pushing for it.

It's backed up by all of the local press, none of whom have a good word to say about him so are hardly trying to absolve him like the nationals do. Its also well documented that the players hated him and he bought in a load of yes men who he'd managed before and harped on about needing more Britishness directly because of the likes of Kone, Ndong and Papy - Pienaar even said that.

Moyes would have had exactly the same control as Big Sam. They are 2 peas from the exact same era. Seriously, you think Moyes' potential signings were controlled by Bain 😂

Bain would have set the budget.

Moyes would identify the players.

Bain would have to get the deals done.

Dunno. If you look at who we signed that summer

McNair
Love
Pienaar
Lescott
Gibson
Anichebe
Oviedo

I’m not sure how you can say Moyes didn’t have much influence over transfers

Last edited:
Dunno. If you look at who we signed that summer

McNair
Love
Pienaar
Lescott
Gibson
Anichebe
Oviedo

I’m not sure how you can say Moyes didn’t have much influence over transfers
To be fair it does suggest Ndong and Djilibodgi were not identified by Moyes. I’m sure he still had a say though.
All shite apart from McNair and even he’s good championship level rather than premier league.

To be fair it does suggest Ndong and Djilibodgi were not identified by Moyes. I’m sure he still had a say though.
All shite apart from McNair and even he’s good championship level rather than premier league.
That’s why I didn’t include them. Just the ones who had direct links to Moyes. Not a hope in hell they were signed by chance

And stuff like this should be remembered when the Moyes love in reignites after west ham win a game.

You had a player there who was desperate to join, had proven quality and transformed our side the season before..

and you can argue that Ndong was already on the cards, so I will just say this..

Pinaar

Back