WWC: Standard of refereeing

I'll add that we all know already that even VAR will be used to suit the league agenda.

You mean this imaginary none existence agenda that allowed Leicester to win the league!

Despite this so called imaginary agenda the best side always wins the league.

Is that similar to your preconceived defence of officials?

I don’t defend individual officials, I defend the difficulty of the job, because anyone with any common sense and eyes can see modern football is too quick for just the human eye to spot.

It’s been a source of amazement to me for quite some time now how the purportedly best league in the world has an absolutely abject group of individuals officiating at its games.

It amazes me how with all the cheating and evidence on show week in week out, that people can’t see a human eye is clearly not enough tools to do the job, it’s clear as f***ing day, don’t know how much more evidence people want.

Last edited:

It’s been a source of amazement to me for quite some time now how the purportedly best league in the world has an absolutely abject group of individuals officiating at its games.

Can you point me to a league where folk are happy with the officials? You make it sound like this is the only country where they come in for criticism week in week out

what are thoughts on this. TBF, putting my head on the block, I thought the officials generally, in the games I've watched, have been pretty decent in comparison to what I watched last season in Div 3!

Agree tbh - think they’ve been alright. Hampered by VAR application at times but canny enough.

The game is different though - much slower with hardly any physical contact. BBC1 will tell you that’s because the women’s game is much cleaner than the men’s game (or at least Jonathan Pearce will - he seemingly hates the men’s game). But In fact it’s because they get nowhere near each other.

The stat from last night was the English centre backs have committed 2 fouls all tournament! As I say Pearce oddly used that as an opportunity to shit on the men’s game, but in actual fact it’s just because they never need to tackle.

Different game

Can you point me to a league where folk are happy with the officials? You make it sound like this is the only country where they come in for criticism week in week out
It’s more a reflection on why we didn’t have an English official at the World Cup. And I don’t know how you got the impression that I feel ours is the only country where referees are criticised when it’s been going on worldwide since refs were invented.
It’s the standard, or lack of that concerns me.

It’s more a reflection on why we didn’t have an English official at the World Cup. And I don’t know how you got the impression that I feel ours is the only country where referees are criticised when it’s been going on worldwide since refs were invented.
It’s the standard, or lack of that concerns me.

Why do you think the standard is so bad?

Think the referees have been too reliant on VAR to make a decision.
Oddly enough, that seems to be diminishing now. Perhaps they were fearful of VAR. It could also be because the better refs ar used in the later games, refereeing better, more experienced and self assured teams.

Why do you think the standard is so bad?
That is an excellent question. Lack of training perhaps, maybe lack of numbers coming into the game that actually want to referee.
Should we be looking at academies for match officials. It’s only my opinion but it seems to me that the game has advanced a great deal over the last 10 years ago but our match officials for whatever reason haven’t progressed at the same rate.

That is an excellent question. Lack of training perhaps, maybe lack of numbers coming into the game that actually want to referee.
Should we be looking at academies for match officials. It’s only my opinion but it seems to me that the game has advanced a great deal over the last 10 years ago but our match officials for whatever reason haven’t progressed at the same rate.

Do you not think theres a reason no league throughout the world ever has ever got to what you might call a good standard?

Germany. Sweden. Switzerland.

Is that your evidence, just naming three countries? Is that all the time? Just happened lately? What do they do different in training to other countries? Any names of refs or all them? Do you watch much of there football? I'd no idea the swedish and swiss league was that popular tbf. Its absolutely laughable to claim these refs from these countries would walk in our league and be better than ours imo

Every single inch of evidence points to no matter what league you look at refs make mistakes and make them often

Last edited:
Agree tbh - think they’ve been alright. Hampered by VAR application at times but canny enough.

The game is different though - much slower with hardly any physical contact. BBC1 will tell you that’s because the women’s game is much cleaner than the men’s game (or at least Jonathan Pearce will - he seemingly hates the men’s game). But In fact it’s because they get nowhere near each other.

The stat from last night was the English centre backs have committed 2 fouls all tournament! As I say Pearce oddly used that as an opportunity to shit on the men’s game, but in actual fact it’s just because they never need to tackle.

Different game
You could be right there. It could be a simple defence mechanism to protect the womens' game. And not a minute too soon. The inevitable drearily long queue of pathetic chauvinists and mysogentists and drunks in this region at least who peddle their bullshit on here and elsewhere will, I hope fall out of their trees and land on their mouths. Not their brains, they are already damaged well beyond repair.

For my part, I follow all genders and types of football and have done for years.

The clowns who come out with this garbage will, I hope fail to pass their long outdated view of life on to their kids.

Is that your evidence, just naming three countries? Is that all the time? Just happened lately? What do they do different in training to other countries? Any names of refs or all them? Do you watch much of there football? I'd no idea the swedish and swiss league was that popular tbf. Its absolutely laughable to claim these refs from these countries would walk in our league and be better than ours imo
It doesn’t need to be popular to produce competent officials. If league one officials are the future of match officials in this country then we don’t have much hope. No doubt you will robustly defend them as you usually do. You can deny my arguments but you can’t debunk them.

I'm staggered that they're the first reasons you thought of.

It doesn’t need to be popular to produce competent officials. If league one officials are the future of match officials in this country then we don’t have much hope. No doubt you will robustly defend them as you usually do. You can deny my arguments but you can’t debunk them.

I'm asking you to give me evidence the officials in Sweden, Switzerland and Germany are competent compared to ours?

Back