Would you like your own bar?

GK pubs are, with a few exceptions, not great for beer, certainly. I seem to remember that you live somewhere near Cambridge so I'll mention the Champion of the Thames as an exception (I'm talking 20+ years ago, however).

Yes, the Champ is a notable example. In fact it's so un-Greene Kingy that I had to double check that it was actually a GK pub. Renowned for serving the best kept ale in Cambridge and won the GK Pub of the Year a couple years back

Yes and I'd get daughter-in-law to run it. She already manages and bar and knows her beer! She's got qualifications in beer and bar management and she hosts tasting events.

I was brought up in and around pubs pretty much all my childhood with my dad owning them. The main thing my dad hated was the fact he could never switch off from it, so probably similar to a lot of self employed in that respects.

Long hours and increasingly lower profit margins. Not a business I would ever want to get into and thats having witnessed it first hand for 20 odd years. Easier ways to make a living

They are crap pubs like. Never been in a decent one.

The county on gosforth high street is alright but rarely ( in my experience) for a GK pub it doesn’t serve food so you don’t have bairns running round getting in the way
I'd call it Bar Humbug and close for the entire month of December.

I would call a pub “ Moderation” so the regulars had a crap line for GP appointments

Last edited:

Back