Would the world be a better place without the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo it would be, mental health problems getting worse and they are only made worse by people being massive arseholes on the net. Constant abuse online will really get to people. People now have no boundaries and believe they can act online anyway they want. I honestly worry about the effect it might have on my kids as they get older and start to use social media.

Youre confusing the whole internet with facebook & twitter

I wish I had the internet as a teenager that’s for sure.
I do too, although if I had I don’t think I’d have good enough eyesight to type this 40 years on. But on the plus side I’d probably be a majority shareholder in Kleenex.

I've cut off most forms of social media except message boards because they are getting more toxic. Not only the content but the drama they cause in real life.

I have fake lnsta, Twitter and Facey accounts to check links people send but I can't wait for the social media "revolution" to pass.

The only social media I had or used was Facebook but I deleted that account about three or four years ago now. I also signed up to Twitter but never used it so deleted that one around the same time. Linkedin also had my details but I thought that was full of people generally saying “oooh oooh oooh look at me, look at me, aren’t I great” so that also went the journey, but not before they were hacked and got my log in details - which now means I get spam emails saying my computer has been compromised and telling me what my password is and pay some spotty faced git some bitcoin.
So, the only so called social media I’m on now is Garmin Connect which gives me basic analytics on any sort of training I’ve done. And of course the SMB which Mrs EJK says I have a slight addiction to. To which I just say “whee’s this clownshoe?”

I'm old enough to have lived through the birth of the Internet (it were all just fields back then) and at first it was miraculous. I switched from using a single CD-ROM encyclopedia (Encarta) to being able to access a much, much, much larger wealth of knowledge and information. Back then if you wanted to join a proper messageboard (not just a BBS) you had to sign up to something like CompuServe or AOL which charged a monthly subscription fee. It was amazing how civil people were to each other when they had the threat of their paid subscription being cut off if they crossed any lines.

Also back in those days there were no smartphones - just PCs and they cost a bloody fortune. The result was that only people with relatively highly paid jobs could really afford the kit, the subscriptions and the telephone charges (dial-up, no always-on broadband) so the Jeremy Kyle crowd didn't have instant access like they do nowadays.

Maybe that's the solution? Make the Internet expensive again? Price out the kids?

I'm old enough to have lived through the birth of the Internet (it were all just fields back then) and at first it was miraculous. I switched from using a single CD-ROM encyclopedia (Encarta) to being able to access a much, much, much larger wealth of knowledge and information. Back then if you wanted to join a proper messageboard (not just a BBS) you had to sign up to something like CompuServe or AOL which charged a monthly subscription fee. It was amazing how civil people were to each other when they had the threat of their paid subscription being cut off if they crossed any lines.

Also back in those days there were no smartphones - just PCs and they cost a bloody fortune. The result was that only people with relatively highly paid jobs could really afford the kit, the subscriptions and the telephone charges (dial-up, no always-on broadband) so the Jeremy Kyle crowd didn't have instant access like they do nowadays.

Maybe that's the solution? Make the Internet expensive again? Price out the kids?

Simple Jim

I've said for a long time that the Internet should come with an entrance exam.

I think mental health issues are caused by people sniffing white powder
Ordered online, delivered to your door.
It can generate revenue.
Friend of mine runs a business online, on the phone in his pocket he orders supplies from China,sends the cash, his phone is constantly pinging with or
It can generate revenue.
Friend of mine runs his business from his phone, sources products, packaging etc,in China, pays for it, connects with customers, just got back from a two week break in florida yesterday and lay beside a pool still easily contactable and still working.

Last edited:
When we were kids at school the issues stopped at the end of the day
By the time you were back - probably the next day it had gone
Now the kids are walking around with the latest phones with access to just about everything 24 / 7
Our time was better than today imo
im talking 70s / 80 s
wouldn’t swap my youth to today’s

totally agree.
Just had a lovely week over Turkey n kids can still manage to argue with classmates 1800 mile away ffs.
I think thats shit but its going nowhere.
Can t stand the very idea of Facebook
Love most of the internet

go on facebook once a year, absolutely staggers me some of the horseshit on there.
its worse than here ffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back