Would it be a bad move if

We are a community club of c150 years history, the 6th most successful club of all time.
One of the biggest supported clubs in England. Probably the biggest crowd to success ratio in the UK.

We have our pride, our heritage and our identity, to which the red and white stripes are core.

We are a not some marketeer’s toy to play with, working with the idea we need to modernise our image and appeal, that we need to be cooler.

That is the short cut way to lose your identity to lose what you stand for.

Anyone who was around for the pin stripes in the 80s will recognise what I say. Personally I think the strip of a few years ago was nearly as bad, but at least it was still Sunderland red and white stripes.

Change the colour of the collars, the socks etc but we must be red and white strips … it defines us
Absolutely 100% THIS!!! ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Don’t get kidded by the Palace ultra rubbish. That’s about 100 idiots.
If you know your football, Palace had very nice claret, blue and white strips. Since then they’ve been Barca !! I couldn’t even tell you what the current Palace strip is …
I know football and have known Palace to have had quite a few good strips going back to the early 70s.

“quite a few”
in the last 50 years 😂😂
My point was that that they moved from design to design, even back in the day. Not good. Keep to the template .
I like the fact that they've always been willing to mix things up, with mixed results. My favourite top in the early 70s was their white top with the red and blue diagonal stripe across the body.

I know football and have known Palace to have had quite a few good strips going back to the early 70s.

Early 70s was great one. Burgundy and blue stripe on a white shirt. Then mid seventies they had a sash , Peter Taylor era. Which carried on to their team of the 80’s era.

And I remember some form of red and blue stripes , blue shorts , think the were playing Leeds in the Cup

They have had some good kits Palace. But I agree , they lack the identity of say a Wolves , WBA or say Norwich who don’t mess around too much.

Under no circumstances…we actually need to go back so there are stripes on the sleeves (and back)…and no black on the shirts ( but all black shorts and socks
Personally I prefer the red socks with white trim ala 73. Black with red trim ala 36/37 is good as well but not all red or all black and definately not all white.
“quite a few”
in the last 50 years 😂😂
My point was that that they moved from design to design, even back in the day. Not good. Keep to the template .
Boro should never have removed the white bar across the chest and Brum should never have removed the single white stripe on the front.

Last edited:
4 red / 3 white stripes is about right, black shorts and socks (we won all our league titles in black socks). We switched to red socks in the 50's and have mediocre ever since.

No, we should never give up our red and white striped shirts.

Regarding socks, I liked red socks with white tops/turnovers.

Shorts, I prefer black but don't mind white. Not red though, ffs!

Back