Worst prog band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've got quite into some prog stuff recently'ish, especially stuff like Henry Cow, Soft Machine, Gong, Gentle Giant kinda stuff.

But I've tried, I have tried, but I've decided that Van Der Graaf Generator are really not for me.

I've got quite into some prog stuff recently'ish, especially stuff like Henry Cow, Soft Machine, Gong, Gentle Giant kinda stuff.

But I've tried, I have tried, but I've decided that Van Der Graaf Generator are really not for me.

Were soft machine prog rock? Had soft machine 3 and thought they were more ' jazz pioneer's.' Loved one track called outbloodyrageous and listened to it recently. However the impression it left was not as good 50ish years later.

Gentle Giant.

Were soft machine prog rock? Had soft machine 3 and thought they were more ' jazz pioneer's.' Loved one track called outbloodyrageous and listened to it recently. However the impression it left was not as good 50ish years later.

Soft Machine were Jazz Fusion.

Are you talking about the vocals or the music, because I can understand people been put off by Geddy Lees voice.

What about the lyrics?

We are the priests of the temple of Syrinx? What’s that all about?

Try some straightforward, unpretentious words - anything written by Jon Anderson, for example.

What? Not even Nutter Alert?

I’m currently reading a Mark Ellen’s book. “Rock stars stole my life” it’s good.
He’s one of the two that replaced whispering bob ont the whistle test. He loved all that prog shite as a kid and is funny when describing it. He started on Record Mirror then NME then Smash Hits then Rad1 then OGWT then editing Q iirc. Not got that far yet.
Got his big break after pestering all the weekly music papers fo4 months. Record Mirror had slagged Costello’s debut and received threatening phone calls from his manager. They were all scared to go to any gigs in case they bumped into him so sent Ellen along completely unaware of this. Once the manager realisedwho he worked for he battered him and threw him out in the street. Record Mirror published his review and took him on full time because they felt guilty!

Talking of capes and wizards, my mate has got to know Rick Wakeman quite well and says that he’s really very down to earth and sees his whole career as a bit tongue in cheek, Donning the cape with a bit of a wink these days etc.

He told him a story about a recent tour when all the other musicians (can’t remember which of the many versions of Yes this was) were twiddling about and he had nowt to do. Night after night he would sit there bored off his tits while the others indulged in musical wanking. So he decided to order a curry and sure enough managed to get a take away curry delivered to the arena which he sat and pouched on stage while the others were going about their business, all the while them giving him the stink eye for not getting into the spirit of the occasion!
He’s great fun when interviewed on the radio ower here. Played piano on Life On Mars iirc. Told a few Bowie stories just after his death. Very very funny. Lived a few doors along from Bowie in Switzerland during their tax exile years. Only one place to get a drink locally and they’d end up in there every night. One night Bowie says “I’m getting bored with this. What’s Berlin like?” And off he went. Came back later having recorded low, the idiot and lust for life in Berlin. “How was Berlin?” “Pretty similar to this place” and resumed his place at the bar!

Last edited:
Are Styx prog? A couple of concept albums mebbys but prog? I had them firmly down as AOR. Always managed half a good album hampered, as Tex pointed out by saccharin overdose.

ELP for me. Flying synths was never my thing and they nicked their biggest song from Aaron Copland who wrote it in the 1940s.

Love it when they get the nod in these debates. :cool:

Prog is good.
This for me too. f***ing awful band.

Talking of capes and wizards, my mate has got to know Rick Wakeman quite well and says that he’s really very down to earth and sees his whole career as a bit tongue in cheek, Donning the cape with a bit of a wink these days etc.

He told him a story about a recent tour when all the other musicians (can’t remember which of the many versions of Yes this was) were twiddling about and he had nowt to do. Night after night he would sit there bored off his tits while the others indulged in musical wanking. So he decided to order a curry and sure enough managed to get a take away curry delivered to the arena which he sat and pouched on stage while the others were going about their business, all the while them giving him the stink eye for not getting into the spirit of the occasion!

that's a wonderous story...

Weren’t all prog bands?
I think you may have missed your vocation Min, you could have slipped the owld poncho on and whipped out your Casio keyboard and who knows! you could be strutting your funky stuff all over the world singing about Arthur and hobbits and the like, you could have borrowed Sneech's blonde wig too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back