Worst prog band?

Prog Rock, short for Progressive Rock, is a subgenre of Rock music where the songs are generally longer than "pop" rock songs and tend to "progress" through a number of different musical ideas rather than sticking with one feel/idea/theme throughout the song.

Often the music will contain clever music theory ideas in the compositions, such as unusual time signatures (for example, instead of the beat count for a single phrase being "1,2,3,4,repeat" it might be "1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,repeat").

Bohemian Rhapsody is an example of a progressive rock song.
Wasn't Yes like that. I've listened to a few of their songs and just don't get it.

Are Styx prog? A couple of concept albums mebbys but prog? I had them firmly down as AOR. Always managed half a good album hampered, as Tex pointed out by saccharin overdose.

ELP for me. Flying synths was never my thing and they nicked their biggest song from Aaron Copland who wrote it in the 1940s.

Love it when they get the nod in these debates. :cool:

Prog is good.

I've started a "best of prog rock" thread now on the SMB for those interested in participating, sharing or hearing some decent prog rather than "the worst". :)

Hocus Pocus. They must be forgotten but never forgiven for the yodelling song "Focus".

or was it “Hocus Pocus” by Focus? whoosh maybe
If you ever saw the HBO TV series Vinyl you will know the fictional history of it, great series imo, but not many agree

or was it “Hocus Pocus” by Focus? whoosh maybe
If you ever saw the HBO TV series Vinyl you will know the fictional history of it, great series imo, but not many agree
No idea which way round, I just think of it as "Hocus Pocus Focus", or "the completely shite yodelling song".

Seriously, if there's anyone reading this thread but doesn't know that "song", if you really want to hear the utter extreme depths of depravity that prog rock was capable of plunging down to, book a therapy session then inflict the noise on yourself. Truly terrible.

Good shout. I’ve said many times they were all impressive musicians but the sum was never greater than the parts, and by Christ was there ever a band more in need of a decent singer to replace that strangled parrot trying to shit out a house brick?

I think another component of a lot of prog rock is the use of fantasy imagery in the lyrics. See Rick Wakeman and ‘King Arthur ...’ or Rush again “we are the priests of the temple of larynx” etc.
Yet you liked.....
Logon or register to see this image

Prog Rock, short for Progressive Rock, is a subgenre of Rock music where the songs are generally longer than "pop" rock songs and tend to "progress" through a number of different musical ideas rather than sticking with one feel/idea/theme throughout the song.

Often the music will contain clever music theory ideas in the compositions, such as unusual time signatures (for example, instead of the beat count for a single phrase being "1,2,3,4,repeat" it might be "1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,repeat").

Bohemian Rhapsody is an example of a progressive rock song.
Did you make this up ?
Not being funny but my take on prog rock is the approach to the music is progressive not a song that progresses .Agree on the length and complexity bit but loads of genres have songs that progress and change .

Did you make this up ?
Not being funny but my take on prog rock is the approach to the music is progressive not a song that progresses .Agree on the length and complexity bit but loads of genres have songs that progress and change .

It would seem that different people have different definitions of it. I was a latecomer to the party, only getting on board during the 3rd wave (90's) via prog metal, so maybe the definition had changed by the time I got there.

By the look of it from reading a few pages about it online, originally the "progressive" definition included to a large degree "borrowing from other styles of music to create completely new hybrid styles of music" (amongst other things), so when the 2nd wave arrived in the 80's many critics said the new wave wasn't progressive at all as it was just regurgitating past prog styles rather than innovating by adding new styles into the mix.

By that original standard, not even Marillion can be classed as "prog rock". By my definition they can.

It would seem that different people have different definitions of it. I was a latecomer to the party, only getting on board during the 3rd wave (90's) via prog metal, so maybe the definition had changed by the time I got there.

By the look of it from reading a few pages about it online, originally the "progressive" definition included to a large degree "borrowing from other styles of music to create completely new hybrid styles of music" (amongst other things), so when the 2nd wave arrived in the 80's many critics said the new wave wasn't progressive at all as it was just regurgitating past prog styles rather than innovating by adding new styles into the mix.

By that original standard, not even Marillion can be classed as "prog rock". By my definition they can.
Always found them pretentious and a bad Genesis tribute ,I wasn't that keen on Genesis so it's fair to say I'm not a fan
There's the men in capes story teller wizards and dungeons side of prog but i always think of Elp type long winded technically clever indulgence with little in the way of melodies and chorus

Always found them pretentious and a bad Genesis tribute ,I wasn't that keen on Genesis so it's fair to say I'm not a fan
There's the men in capes story teller wizards and dungeons side of prog but i always think of Elp type long winded technically clever indulgence with little in the way of melodies and chorus

I don't really know much Genesis other than the pop hits. They were never a band I could motivate myself to explore properly to find out what the fuss was about.

Fish-era Marillion for me was my first real step into what I thought at the time (mid 90's) was "old" prog rock. I'd never heard anything quite like it and I loved it, so I listened to those albums a lot. Later I realised they borrowed a lot from a certain era of Van Der Graaf Generator but I still find Marillion more listenable.

I guess my taste in prog rock/prog metal tends to be "mostly regular rock/metal with a bit of prog in there but not too much". If it's too wanky it loses me. It's why I've never got into Yes (despite owning a load of their stuff on vinyl).

I must admit that I always thought of prog in terms of song structure. Rather than your usual verse/chorus middle eight, progressive was so called because it worked in 'movements' more often than not and each telling a different part of the story. Although yeah, there might be cross-over songs where both styles can work and still be progressive...Genesis, Wardrobe for example.

I don't really know much Genesis other than the pop hits. They were never a band I could motivate myself to explore properly to find out what the fuss was about.

Fish-era Marillion for me was my first real step into what I thought at the time (mid 90's) was "old" prog rock. I'd never heard anything quite like it and I loved it, so I listened to those albums a lot. Later I realised they borrowed a lot from a certain era of Van Der Graaf Generator but I still find Marillion more listenable.

I guess my taste in prog rock/prog metal tends to be "mostly regular rock/metal with a bit of prog in there but not too much". If it's too wanky it loses me. It's why I've never got into Yes (despite owning a load of their stuff on vinyl).
If you're not into Yes, why do you own a load of their stuff? If I'm not into a band l wouldn't have it in my music collection.

Back