Worst prog band?

I’m going for Styx
I remember seeing them on Behnd the Music. The band was formed by the guitar and bass players. Then they got DeYoung in with all his cheesy bollocks - Babe, Sailing etc which they hated cos they wanted to rock out but that’s what sold all the records and concert tickets so they were stuck with it all.

More recently they wanted to go on tour. DeYoung said no cos his voice wasn’t right so they went on tour without him, then his voice suddenly recovered and he went on tour with a symphony orchestra or something. Rock and roll!

What is a prog band

Prog Rock, short for Progressive Rock, is a subgenre of Rock music where the songs are generally longer than "pop" rock songs and tend to "progress" through a number of different musical ideas rather than sticking with one feel/idea/theme throughout the song.

Often the music will contain clever music theory ideas in the compositions, such as unusual time signatures (for example, instead of the beat count for a single phrase being "1,2,3,4,repeat" it might be "1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,repeat").

Bohemian Rhapsody is an example of a progressive rock song.

Good shout. I’ve said many times they were all impressive musicians but the sum was never greater than the parts, and by Christ was there ever a band more in need of a decent singer to replace that strangled parrot trying to shit out a house brick?

I think another component of a lot of prog rock is the use of fantasy imagery in the lyrics. See Rick Wakeman and ‘King Arthur ...’ or Rush again “we are the priests of the temple of larynx” etc.

Back