World Cup Thread

Love this from the BBC

A golden hour ends in a champagne super over

England win the Cricket World Cup

Logon or register to see this image

Tom Fordyce

BBC chief sports writer at Lord's

On a grey Sunday evening the sun came out at Lord's and the golden hour came.

When you love sport, you understand how it can take you to places little else can. You could watch it all your life and never quite fathom what happened between 6.30 and 7.30pm in two sun-kissed rectangles of grass seven or so miles apart across England's capital city.

A World Cup final that might just be the greatest game of cricket in history, a Wimbledon men's final longer than any that has come before.

Because this was summer's sporting day of days, they stepped hand in hand. You couldn't watch and you couldn't look away. You hated it and you loved it and you lost yourself completely to it.

No-one had ever seen Lord's like this, a beautiful sedate museum turned into a cavorting mess. No-one had really seen cricket like this.

There is a line often brought out when sport does these sorts of things - you couldn't write this - and a hoary riposte: haven't you seen Star Wars, or read Harry Potter?

On a day when sometimes nothing appeared to make sense, both these contradictory positions became true. You couldn't write it, because it was a plotline too twisted to make dramatic sense, too confusing, too remote from what has gone before.

We're OK with spaceships and child wizards because they have been imagined before. Plenty had dreamed of England winning the World Cup. That's where logic waved farewell

That **** Piers Morgan has spoiled it all by wearing his shirt and banging on about him being there in the box with his celebrity friends. Me Me Me Me Me Me and then England :confused:

Love this from the BBC

A golden hour ends in a champagne super over

England win the Cricket World Cup

Logon or register to see this image

Tom Fordyce

BBC chief sports writer at Lord's

On a grey Sunday evening the sun came out at Lord's and the golden hour came.

When you love sport, you understand how it can take you to places little else can. You could watch it all your life and never quite fathom what happened between 6.30 and 7.30pm in two sun-kissed rectangles of grass seven or so miles apart across England's capital city.

A World Cup final that might just be the greatest game of cricket in history, a Wimbledon men's final longer than any that has come before.

Because this was summer's sporting day of days, they stepped hand in hand. You couldn't watch and you couldn't look away. You hated it and you loved it and you lost yourself completely to it.

No-one had ever seen Lord's like this, a beautiful sedate museum turned into a cavorting mess. No-one had really seen cricket like this.

There is a line often brought out when sport does these sorts of things - you couldn't write this - and a hoary riposte: haven't you seen Star Wars, or read Harry Potter?

On a day when sometimes nothing appeared to make sense, both these contradictory positions became true. You couldn't write it, because it was a plotline too twisted to make dramatic sense, too confusing, too remote from what has gone before.

We're OK with spaceships and child wizards because they have been imagined before. Plenty had dreamed of England winning the World Cup. That's where logic waved farewell

Absolutely fantastic article.

Sky were saying that dodgy 6 that Stokes got from diving should never have stood.
There's an argument to say it should have been 5 as they batsmen hadn't crossed when the throw was released from the fielder but the law is a bit ambiguous

There's an argument to say it should have been 5 as they batsmen hadn't crossed when the throw was released from the fielder but the law is a bit ambiguous
Just said on another thread. They must have crossed. Stokes isn't that quick. He couldn't have been where he was otherwise.

Imo as the camera of course didnt show it, i think as it was a blur :lol:

Back