World cup dark horses

dunno about the african sides, when i have watched them they seem to improve every world cup and do not seem to be the 'whipping boys' any more, tend to play some pretty neat stuff but look like rabbits in headlights in the final third which always lets them down...personally i want tunisia to do well.

Apologies if done before but who's your dark horses for WC? I'm talking none of the obvious big sides & dont have to win it, but do very well (semis or final maybe).

For me...

1. Uruguay. CB partnership play together at club level & got 150 caps between em. Plus Suarez & Cavani up front.

2. Sweden. Utter bastards to beat. Dull as dishwater but could grind results out like they did against Italy
Larsson and Toineven gonna tear up the WC.

The World Cup doesn't really have upsets when it comes to winning it, or even getting to the final.
Maybe a surprise is a team unexpectedly getting to the semi finals, like Turkey and South Korea in 2002, or Croatia in 98, or Sweden and Bulgaria in 94.

Of the 17 finals since 1950, Germany or Brazil have appeared in 14 of them.
Their wasn't a final in 1950.

Last edited:
I realise they aren’t dark horses at all but nobody is talking up Spain this year. I think they’re almost back to their best. Fancy a few quid on them.

As for unexpected teams doing well, then have to agree with those saying Uruguay. Doubt there’ll be a better front 2 than what they have .

I think Argentina will go out in the groups. My girlfriend is Argentinian so she isn't too happy about my prediction. :lol:
Crappest Argentinian team for a while.
Brazil have picked up a lot.
Uruguay could go a long long way imho.

SFs from France Germany Spain Brazil Uruguay.

Croatia or Uruguay.

I haven't seen any of the teams but on paper there doesn't seem to be a stand out favourite which may make it more likely for a dark horse to sneak it.

Back