Working remotely - from abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money and relocate to the other side of the world. On a job you don’t even want the other side of Xmas?

Makes perfect sense this aye :lol:

Why do you even care?

Strange little man

That still happens? Thought it stopped with the roaming thing

Good question, I thought that had stopped but maybe it hasn’t

I was ringing me mate in Germany last week and it still had that long drawn out dial tone...

W like you do
So you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money and relocate to the other side of the world. On a job you don’t even want the other side of Xmas?

Makes perfect sense this aye :lol:

Where are people getting ridiculous money from?

It will cost less than living here

I was ringing me mate in Germany last week and it still had that long drawn out dial tone...

Was his an English number?

W like you do

Where are people getting ridiculous money from?

It will cost less than living here

Was his an English number?

Of it course it will, there is absolutely no cost involved in moving abroad. Just treat it like a holiday, piece of piss.

If I ask it gives the game away
You could just go, and if they pick up on it, say you didn't realise.

Alternatively you could just ask and see if its worth the risk, it might just be they want to ensure your working key hours for the business etc which could be worked around if you moved to somewhere with a relatively similar time zone..

You could just go, and if they pick up on it, say you didn't realise.

Alternatively you could just ask and see if its worth the risk, it might just be they want to ensure your working key hours for the business etc which could be worked around if you moved to somewhere with a relatively similar time zone..

It’s specific hours, I reckon it’s better to plead ignorance. Least I know the better

What is it they need you to do during the night?

It’s PR stuff that they need for office opening hours

Long story

Could depend on your IT security and what systems you're required to use. I'm in our local office in the NE but our parent company are based in Sweden, all desktops and laptops are set up by an IT company in Sweden based on where you are predominantly located. We've also got a firebox that they set up remotely once plugged in. When I go overseas I have to use a specific VPN that is, again, pre-installed by the IT department in Sweden. I'm guessing if you have similar security policies then you'd just not be able to do your job without them knowing?

Do mobiles when abroad do that strange dial/ringing sound when someone phones you? Instead of them hearing a ringing noise while waiting for you to pick up it's like a longer drawn out beep? They used to, not sure if they still do. If it did you could use Skype for phone calls.
Nee one rings mobiles at work now Marra during the working day, its all Skype. I havent even switched my mobile on for 6 weeks now.

Biggest issue is as Peil says....taking data overseas. Some data cant be taken out of the UK and some companies have it in contracts so work can't be moved abroad to make it cheaper.
Even this can be circumnavigated quite easily. We have Russian Teams packaging applications on servers hosted in Germany, so the data never leaves the EU, but the graft is done remotely cheaply

Had a mate who worked remotely for a company here in the UK and he was living here. Upped sticks and moved home to Cork but his company never knew.

Even this can be circumnavigated quite easily. We have Russian Teams packaging applications on servers hosted in Germany, so the data never leaves the EU, but the graft is done remotely cheaply
In fairness when I was courting the Yankette I managed to work out the US for a few weeks, with confidential the data I needed to access on EU servers and accessed via remote desktop.
Does seem like a bit of a faff and a lot of expense for a job he's chucking at Xmas like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back