Working remotely - from abroad

The Rat

Striker
Strange dilemma this, not sure if anyone will know but thought I'd ask.

Started a new job which will be based totally remotely, after a few months training it will go back to working unsociable hours, which I just won't do under any circumstances as it has too a big impact on my physical and mental health.

I had an idea to move abroad for a few months, where due to the time difference I would be working normal hours. My question is, how would my company find out. For some reason they frown on you doing it outside England I believe. However due to my phone contract, in certain countries my mobile will work 100% normally, to ring, text, data, so if they ring me I will be available as normal.

You get given a work computer, I am thinking maybe IT will track where I am, but why would they if I am doing the work, and they use an outside company for IT too. I could also use a VPN.

I only want to do this till after Christmas while I find something else, and I'd rather get caught and fired than work the unsociable hours again. But you never need to go in the office, your first few weeks will involve a few phone calls on feedback but then the contact is mostly by email.

Any ideas?

It’ll cost a fortune to move abroad temporarily

Start looking for jobs now, then hopefully you can do your training then tell them to stick it up their arse

It’ll cost a fortune to move abroad temporarily

Start looking for jobs now, then hopefully you can do your training then tell them to stick it up their arse

It won't like, from what I have worked out, don't worry about the money, its more can I get away with it.

:lol: What a class/mental idea.

Would wages fund an apartment etc?

Yeah mate, would cover everything.

Started a new job which will be based totally remotely, after a few months training it will go back to working unsociable hours, which I just won't do under any circumstances as it has too a big impact on my physical and mental health.

I had an idea to move abroad for a few months, where due to the time difference I would be working normal hours. My question is, how would my company find out. For some reason they frown on you doing it outside England I believe. However due to my phone contract, in certain countries my mobile will work 100% normally, to ring, text, data, so if they ring me I will be available as normal.

You get given a work computer, I am thinking maybe IT will track where I am, but why would they if I am doing the work, and they use an outside company for IT too. I could also use a VPN.

I only want to do this till after Christmas while I find something else, and I'd rather get caught and fired than work the unsociable hours again. But you never need to go in the office, your first few weeks will involve a few phone calls on feedback but then the contact is mostly by email.

Any ideas?

This webcam shoite?

If it’s only till Xmas just do a combination of crap performance and the sick. Why spend thousands on getting abroad for 4 months if you are leaving anyway.

Immediate things that come to mind include making sure that the company doesn't block known VPN nodes, issues with working on data overseas (especially under GDPR regs as you would be personally liable) and possible risk of a fraud charge if they really were pissed off.

The working with data overseas could be a thing I'd look into it, its not a important enough job for fraud like, they'd just get rid

If it’s only till Xmas just do a combination of crap performance and the sick. Why spend thousands on getting abroad for 4 months if you are leaving anyway.

Wouldn't be thousands like mate, just the flight and then normal rent. I don't want to work any nights and I mean, it would be very good being abroad for a few months too.

Which time zone would get you working normal hours? If it's plus 4 or 5 hours, not many decent countries to choose from.

Was thinking Asia where could start in morning, or even Mexico, which would finish at say 9-10pm, not ideal, but I'd get 2 weeks a month off and obviously be able to enjoy myself..

All are better than working those hours in England

Three of the longest serving employees at my company have never even been to the UK never mind come into the office.

That daft twats live in South America have to get up for work at 3am.

Apparently from my early digging they want people here because they provide your computer, and maybe something to do with tax. I don't get why they would give a shit for a few months though

Its more how would they find out???

The working with data overseas could be a thing I'd look into it, its not a important enough job for fraud like, they'd just get rid

Wouldn't be thousands like mate, just the flight and then normal rent. I don't want to work any nights and I mean, it would be very good being abroad for a few months too.

Being on the other side of the world for months could be quite depressing like. Long haul flight and decent digs for 4 months would likely run to a few k like.

Biggest issue is as Peil says....taking data overseas. Some data cant be taken out of the UK and some companies have it in contracts so work can't be moved abroad to make it cheaper.

Biggest issue is as Peil says....taking data overseas. Some data cant be taken out of the UK and some companies have it in contracts so work can't be moved abroad to make it cheaper.

I get that, but the issue there would still just end up with me getting fired, I am more trying to figure out how they would find out. If I am doing the work and answering my phone, emails etc.

Was thinking Asia where could start in morning, or even Mexico, which would finish at say 9-10pm, not ideal, but I'd get 2 weeks a month off and obviously be able to enjoy myself..

All are better than working those hours in England
Get to SE Asia then, you'll need visa's but there are ways and means to get around these things. Some are English speaking like Philippines or Malaysia, but even the other places are getting up to speed with English as a 2nd language. Cheap living on plenty of places to visit in the area and neighbouring countries.

Any ideas?
Is this real or just another one of your fantasies?

Back