Working remotely - from abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that, but the issue there would still just end up with me getting fired, I am more trying to figure out how they would find out. If I am doing the work and answering my phone, emails etc.
Do mobiles when abroad do that strange dial/ringing sound when someone phones you? Instead of them hearing a ringing noise while waiting for you to pick up it's like a longer drawn out beep? They used to, not sure if they still do. If it did you could use Skype for phone calls.

Apparently from my early digging they want people here because they provide your computer, and maybe something to do with tax. I don't get why they would give a shit for a few months though

Its more how would they find out???
Probably when they ring your mobile and get a foreign dial tone

Search for old posts by 'johnson' and 'daveangel' and you'll see a lot more with a similar theme.

Why do you even care?

Strange little man

Probably when they ring your mobile and get a foreign dial tone

That still happens? Thought it stopped with the roaming thing

Do mobiles when abroad do that strange dial/ringing sound when someone phones you? Instead of them hearing a ringing noise while waiting for you to pick up it's like a longer drawn out beep? They used to, not sure if they still do. If it did you could use Skype for phone calls.

Good question, I thought that had stopped but maybe it hasn’t

Why do you even care?

Strange little man

That still happens? Thought it stopped with the roaming thing

Good question, I thought that had stopped but maybe it hasn’t
You don’t roam in Asia though.

The question is, if it went tits up a week in, would you be able to get home and set up life again? Sounds like you need the money otherwise you wouldn’t be contemplating doing it so the chances are you’ll be getting your arse pimped out before the month is out.

My advice, as in all of these things is 'read your contract of employment'

Why don't they like you working outside of the UK if you are remote based? Might be worth actually finding out what it is they don't like.

Remote working is mint, I used to prefer going into the office but now I'm predominantly office based I would rather just work from home all of the time.

Why don't they like you working outside of the UK if you are remote based? Might be worth actually finding out what it is they don't like.

Remote working is mint, I used to prefer going into the office but now I'm predominantly office based I would rather just work from home all of the time.

If I ask it gives the game away

Strange dilemma this, not sure if anyone will know but thought I'd ask.

Started a new job which will be based totally remotely, after a few months training it will go back to working unsociable hours, which I just won't do under any circumstances as it has too a big impact on my physical and mental health.

I had an idea to move abroad for a few months, where due to the time difference I would be working normal hours. My question is, how would my company find out. For some reason they frown on you doing it outside England I believe. However due to my phone contract, in certain countries my mobile will work 100% normally, to ring, text, data, so if they ring me I will be available as normal.

You get given a work computer, I am thinking maybe IT will track where I am, but why would they if I am doing the work, and they use an outside company for IT too. I could also use a VPN.

I only want to do this till after Christmas while I find something else, and I'd rather get caught and fired than work the unsociable hours again. But you never need to go in the office, your first few weeks will involve a few phone calls on feedback but then the contact is mostly by email.

Any ideas?
I've thought of doing exactly this. Let me know how you get on marrow and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back