Working Mens Clubs

One of my crazy theories on the rise of mens mental health issues is that since it became effectively not socially acceptable to go to the pub midweek etc, nee one talks properly, openly over a few pints anymore.

So the idea that men go down the club and get things off their chest seems a good thing to me.

One of my crazy theories on the rise of mens mental health issues is that since it became effectively not socially acceptable to go to the pub midweek etc, nee one talks properly, openly over a few pints anymore.

So the idea that men go down the club and get things off their chest seems a good thing to me.
You're probably onto something there tbh.
Stuck in with the wife and bairns moaning on, no time to yourself. Or single blokes stuck in on their own.
I know people say talk to your mates but it's easier to speak in an open environment than picking someone to phone or text, etc.

God - memories!

The Boilermaker's Club on a hot Sunday lunchtime. The air heavy with old farts, stale tobacco and whiffs of sweat. Unshaven blokes in rumpled shirts lower their Sunday papers briefly as the first skinny stripper comes on.

"Isn't that the lass that served us earlier?"
"Aye."

A short pause for perusal, then the papers go back up.

Eeh... happy days, eh? 😉

Of those aged 16-30 i’m willing to bet a large % of mental health is down to two things

•Drug use.
•Social Media warping their minds.

But anyway back on topic

You're probably onto something there tbh.
Stuck in with the wife and bairns moaning on, no time to yourself. Or single blokes stuck in on their own.
I know people say talk to your mates but it's easier to speak in an open environment than picking someone to phone or text, etc.
I Don't believe for 1 minute blokes sat talking about lumps that won't go away and worries that his marriage was on the rocks or that somedays he just didnt want to face life back in Southwick club in the 70s

You didnt have smb or whatsapp groups etc and there wasnt an acknowledgement of these problems back then so i don't see the clubs as Therapy meetings

Last edited:
Only drank in 2 , one time each, Heppies and the pennywell club. The beer is cheap for a reason, incredible how watered down it is.
Late 60s Echo reported that the Steward of Steels Club had Pleaded guilty to Defrauding the club . The court was told that 3 tanks (180 gallon)) had been filled with water, putting new spin on getting a pint of half and half . That the time Steels was one of the Busiest in the town . The following months the Comedians had a field day .

All this talk about watered down beer, anybody care to explain how you water down keg beer? It will be interesting to know.

All this talk about watered down beer, anybody care to explain how you water down keg beer? It will be interesting to know.
It's fairly easy if you have the right 'key' for the barrels.

Iirc, S&N barrels needed a key that fitted over the top of the valve at the top of the barrel - a bit like a massive socket. Vaux barrels needed a 'male' fitting with two pins that fitted into the top of the valve.

Stewards and landlords used to get them from the draymen or get a mate in the 'yards to make them one.

The Auditors (weights and measures) who visited on a regular basis would also have them so they could access the barrels to properly check the gravity of the contents.

Last edited:
It's not that difficult really (or never used to be) I used to work in the cellar on the boat when I was young, we never watered it down but would quite often blow kegs across and used to fill kegs full of water to rinse the lines out.
Used to just release the gas from a keg and we had adapted one of the keg fittings and you'd basically apply pressure the other way.
Or some of them actually had a giant nut you could unscrew the whole valve fitting from.
Haven't looked at a keg properly in a few years mind.

Iirc, S&N barrels needed a key that fitted over the top of the valve at the top of the barrel - a bit like a massive socket. Vaux barrels needed a 'male' fitting with two pins that fitted into the top of the valve.

Stewards and landlords used to get them from the draymen or get a mate in the 'yards to make them one.

The Auditors (weights and measures) who visited on a regular basis would also have them so they could access the barrels to properly check the gravity of the contents.
Ah, right, I always thought they were pressurized.

Nah you apply the gas in the cellar generally.

Aye the old bloke who was teaching me was ex S&N we had allsorts of things rigged up, none dodgy as such but were very helpful.
Although we did used to blow the bottom of Scotch and Ex kegs across into the 80' keg as hardly anyone bought it or noticed.

Last edited:
You just had to make sure the gas you'd applied when connecting the barrel was released before opening it.

Can't remember how it was done now - either a release valve, or just cracking it open a tiny bit to let the gas out before fully extracting the valve - but it wasn't a difficult process.
Late 60s Echo reported that the Steward of Steels Club had Pleaded guilty to Defrauding the club . The court was told that 3 tanks (180 gallon)) had been filled with water, putting new spin on getting a pint of half and half . That the time Steels was one of the Busiest in the town . The following months the Comedians had a field day .
I can remember my Dad telling me years and years ago about the Steward at our local WMC. They had 250 gallon vats at the time and he had it off to a 'T' how much water he could put into each without altering the gravity.

He had his bar staff and relief Steward coached in how to do it as well.

He went on holiday one year and forgot to tell the relief Steward that he'd already watered down the vats before he went. The relief then added the same amount of water again, thinking it hadn't been done. The beer was vile, apparently and it ended up with the Steward losing his job. The committee had been prepared to turn a 'blind eye' previously when it wasn't too obvious but couldn't let it slide on this occasion.

Last edited:
You just had to make sure the gas you'd applied when connecting the barrel was released before opening it.

Can't remember how it was done now - either a release valve, or just cracking it open a tiny bit to let the gas out before fully extracting the valve - but it wasn't a difficult process.

I can remember my Dad telling me years and years ago about the Steward at our local WMC. They had 250 gallon vats at the time and he had it off to a 'T' how much water he could put into each without altering the gravity.

He went on holiday one year and forgot to tell the relief Steward that he'd already watered down the vats before he went. The relief then added the same amount of water again, thinking it hadn't been done. The beer was vile, apparently and it ended up with the Steward losing his job. The committee had been prepared to turn a 'blind eye' previously when it wasn't too obvious but couldn't let it slide on this occasion.
Bloody hell I'd totally forgot about the big tanks we had on the boat too as well as the kegs.

Right, I suppose, where there's a will, there's a way, I'd imagine you'd have to keep a check on how many pints had been drawn from the keg so you'd know how many pints of water to replace it with, seems a clart on, mind.

Right, I suppose, where there's a will, there's a way, I'd imagine you'd have to keep a check on how many pints had been drawn from the keg so you'd know how many pints of water to replace it with, seems a clart on, mind.
11 gallon keg - 88 pints.

Sell 8 pints, then top up the barrel. No change in gravity but you'll get an extra 8 pints per barrel. At todays prices that could be anywhere between £20-£50 extra per barrel. Do that for every pump and you're turning a fair bit extra money that is pure profit.

Not condoning it at all as I like my beer to be unmessed-with but worth the clart on for plenty of Stewards/Landlords.

11 gallon keg - 88 pints.

Sell 8 pints, then top up the barrel. No change in gravity but you'll get an extra 8 pints per barrel. At todays prices that could be anywhere between £20-£50 extra per barrel. Do that for every pump and you're turning a fair bit extra money that is pure profit.

Not condoning it at all as I like my beer to be unmessed-with but worth the clart on for plenty of Stewards/Landlords.
Defiantly, got to say, I played the clubs in a couple of bands back in the day, and I severed my time as a Bar fitter shopfitter, so drank plenty of beer in clubs, can't say I ever had a bad pint that I remember, It was mainly places like the Mecca and Town pubs, that served dodgy pints, always took them back for a fresh one though. Still pop alone the club now and then, and the beers always spot on.

Back