Working Mens Clubs

Honestly thought these had died a death around 15/20 years ago but was surprised at work to hear they seem to be making a bit of a comeback? Anyone on here recently joined?

None of my family were ever members so neither was I .

haven't paid my subs since 2005, will probably avoid.

Used to absolutely love the punters club mind. pay-out the Sunday before Christmas was one of the best days of the year.

All went tits up when someone tried to mug the organiser or the money.

Last edited:
Never a fan
At 17 headed straight for the city lights
Didn't want to drink where me Dad and his mates did . I Was far too serious about music to stomach the "turn "
Like Greenwoods i've managed to avoid it into later life
Popped in to places with people on match days or parties etc and its just not my thing ,kitchen tables and 100 watt house bulbs etc
Thats dave seat ! and crap like that

Never a fan
Didn't want to drink where me Dad and his mates did . I Was far too serious about music to stomach the "turn "
Popped in to places with people on match days or parties etc and its just not my thing ,kitchen tables and 100 watt house bulbs etc
Middle aged women in black trousers and flowery blouses, unfurling tin foil wrapped sarnies and pastries in between the bingo.

used to go to jarrow Buffs early friday night and saturday dinner time when i was in my teens (long time ago).
cheap drink, pool and snooker table, good times.

Non Member................

I only ever see social media reports of bother or pictures of fancy dress functions from our local one.

Neither are for me, although I'm sure there isn't bother or fancy dress every day.

Quite often drink in Kenton club, Forest Hall working mens club or the Empire in Gosforth. Sometimes pop into the Labour Club in Newcastle city centre if fancy a game of darts or dominoes.

Prefer pubs overall but they serve a purpose if you want a cheap pint and a bit of tradition.

Never a fan
100% this. It was for old blokes from a different generation.

Back