Work 'til you drop kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39352654

An analysis for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has suggested that workers under the age of 30 may not get a pension until the age of 70.

A second report, by John Cridland, proposes that those under the age of 45 may have to work a year longer, to 68.

Us "oldies" are pulling the drawbridge up behind us. Soz.

It's hardly a stretch, people in the 40s/50s now already have to wait until they're 68 to get their state pension.

I'd like to be fully retired by my 60th all going well. Will have to take a big hit on half my pension to do so mind but what can you do?

I'm resigned to having to work for longer than my parents did. Combined with house prices, tuition fees and graduate jobs it really does feel at times as though the preceding generation has pulled the ladder up behind them.

I think I've read somewhere that my generation will be the first to have less wealth than their parents.
It's the current generation that has fucked it up though. Young bankers and financiers in 2008 fucked the lot of us.

Is the objective of raising the age of retirement to get more people to save/invest for their retirement ? Plus the added bonus to the pension fund, that a lot more people will die before even drawing a pension.
The increasing numbers of people physically or mentally unable to do their jobs will end up on what income ? Unemployment benefit, some sort of supplementary benefit ?

Is the objective of raising the age of retirement to get more people to save/invest for their retirement ? Plus the added bonus to the pension fund, that a lot more people will die before even drawing a pension.
The increasing numbers of people physically or mentally unable to do their jobs will end up on what income ? Unemployment benefit, some sort of supplementary benefit ?

Yes and no, even with auto enrolment the amount low earners will amass over 50 years won't be anywhere near enough to sustain themselves for long so they would still be massively reliant on the state in retirement.

I work with a canny few saddos still living with their parents in their late 30s/40s.

How do they even bring a bird back home? If the chance ever presented itself that is. Imagine listening to your 40 year old son grunting away next door with some old wife he's brought back from down the club

Yes and no, even with auto enrolment the amount low earners will amass over 50 years won't be anywhere near enough to sustain themselves for long so they would still be massively reliant on the state in retirement.
Contributions are going up though incrementally. I imagine they will just keep creeping up so they can phase out the state pension. Or a meringue?

Can just imagine doing my current job when I am 70. I am 32 now and struggle already. :lol:

The problems run deeper than that like.
That was the root cause of it though.
The country doesn't collect enough tax and we all know who the tax dodging culprits are. The elderly and those at the bottom of the pile are hit though instead of the big boys. You then get the likes of bagpuss doing the government's work by creating dislike and hatred of pensioners. Why, because they are 20 quid better off than they would have been but for the triple lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back