Work from home tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem office workers have is controlling their diet. Imagine having to travel to the same place every day listening to Janice and what antics her youngings have been upto. Thats why a lot of them are desperate to wfh because they cant stand going to work and forcibly acting interested in some boring twats tales. Theres been enough threads on here about it. In all seriousness though only the higher positions id imagine will be wfh permanently or near enough. If you're answering phones you'll be in.

Only if you're frontline dealing with public or suppliers. None of those will be wfh currently

I only ever receive phone calls from people within the organisation, which I can now do via teams.

The biggest problem office workers have is controlling their diet. Imagine having to travel to the same place every day listening to Janice and what antics her youngings have been upto. Thats why a lot of them are desperate to wfh because they cant stand going to work and forcibly acting interested in some boring twats tales. Theres been enough threads on here about it.

In all seriousness though only the higher positions id imagine will be wfh permanently or near enough. If you're answering phones you'll be in.

Aye, but wfh Janice gets in touch at all hours!

Agreed. It'll all depend on your role. Call centres/customer facing will all be back in, if they've ever been away in the first place. Plenty of places where many have been sent home since March, with others in the same place having to go in.
Only if you're frontline dealing with public or suppliers. None of those will be wfh currently

I only ever receive phone calls from people within the organisation, which I can now do via teams.

I don't think he literally meant if you ever have to use a phone. That applies to pretty much every single role out there, to some degree.

What you said above is correct re: roles that will be in, and most likely have always been in.

Last edited:
Aye, but wfh Janice gets in touch at all hours!

Agreed. It'll all depend on your role. Call centres/customer facing will all be back in, if they've ever been away in the first place. Plenty of places where many have been sent home since March, with others in the same place having to go in.
Call centres might well not. My sister in law is in a team for awkward car insurance claims. She has been given a phone for work and a PC, then told they are likely to close the offices.

I think one thing companies are missing in this new world, is dealing with induction and team building for new team members. It is one thing taking an established team and putting them at home, but bringing in someone in is hard.

I had someone join my team on a 6 month secondment, a couple of days a week, days before lockdown. It was odd having a new team member I never spoke to face to face. He hates the idea of being on a webcam, so I never saw his face the whole time he worked from me. In the office as he ran into issues he would just have been able to shout 'who do I ask about blah', but had to post into a team chat and wait for someone to respond and then call him.

I can see offices being smaller. New people will work from the office for a few month, and probably the closest team mates will have to come in to induct & train them. Once established, then they might go back to being at home.

Call centres might well not. My sister in law is in a team for awkward car insurance claims. She has been given a phone for work and a PC, then told they are likely to close the offices.

I think one thing companies are missing in this new world, is dealing with induction and team building for new team members. It is one thing taking an established team and putting them at home, but bringing in someone in is hard.

I had someone join my team on a 6 month secondment, a couple of days a week, days before lockdown. It was odd having a new team member I never spoke to face to face. He hates the idea of being on a webcam, so I never saw his face the whole time he worked from me. In the office as he ran into issues he would just have been able to shout 'who do I ask about blah', but had to post into a team chat and wait for someone to respond and then call him.

I can see offices being smaller. New people will work from the office for a few month, and probably the closest team mates will have to come in to induct & train them. Once established, then they might go back to being at home.

More valid and well put points.

it appears there's an awful lot of office people on here working from home trying to justify their contribution to society when in reality they're in the main doing nothing more than tossing it off playing with computers stealing a living.
i repeat myself again, society is poorer because of this. the manufacturing, labour intensive industries learnt a youngster a lot more than how to weld, fit pipes together, build houses and so on. it gave a young person leaving school an introduction into how to behave correctly in the adult world.

Out of the 5 richest people in the world, 4 of them made their money by "tossing it off, playing with computers"

it appears there's an awful lot of office people on here working from home trying to justify their contribution to society when in reality they're in the main doing nothing more than tossing it off playing with computers stealing a living.
i repeat myself again, society is poorer because of this. the manufacturing, labour intensive industries learnt a youngster a lot more than how to weld, fit pipes together, build houses and so on. it gave a young person leaving school an introduction into how to behave correctly in the adult world.

You seem very bitter about anyone who uses a brain for a living. Desperate to claim that anyone sitting at a computer is doing nowt all day, while using a massive amount of IT infrastructure to make your point.

I think of my grandad, very bright bloke, would have loved to be a history teacher, but worked down the pit. His dad was a miner, his grandad was a miner, so being born at the start of the 1900s, he became a miner too. Educated himself in his spare time and wrote a religious history book, masses of research in it, but could not put that to practice in his working life because he grew up in a society where children followed their fathers and had to do 'proper' jobs.

The world had started to change by the time one of his sons was in his late teens and showed promising signs academically. He worked his arse off so my dad could go to Uni and become a teacher, which he did. He was really proud of me going to a top Uni to study these 'amazing machines that are springing up everywhere' - computers. He was glad that his children and grandchildren would never have to do a mind numbing job like he did.

You say stealing a living, but to me there is nowt wrong with having a well paid job for using my brain. And although you seem to hate that idea, the product of people like me 'tossing off, stealing a living' are enabling you to post here right now. If it is so shit, why do you have a computer and an internet connection? Why do you toss about posting on here? Smacks of jealousy to me. Glad to have someone provide these things for you, but despise those who can do those jobs. Very bitter.

Lets face it, a world without internet, computers, telecoms, medicine research, material science (designing the things people build stuff with) and books was far poorer. That 1930s world had a life expectancy for men of 58. I'd have 15 years left. It is expected these days I've got another 40-50 years to go.

Out of the 5 richest people in the world, 4 of them made their money by "tossing it off, playing with computers"

:lol: ooof

Definitely took his own bait and flask in ^

And in case you hadn't noticed, it's those very workers you are slating that the government are saying make or break our economy.

Last edited:
Careful now, you will set the button pushers off.

absolute rubbish. most of you lot just spend hours sitting on your arse playing solitaire all day scared to get your hands dirty and do a real job.

Don't you drive a tanker? So for all of your love for heroic Stakhanovite labour you spend most of your working hours sitting on your arse getting piles, listening to Smooth FM, and getting your hands dirty off Ginster's pasty grease.

Don't you drive a tanker? So for all of your love for heroic Stakhanovite labour you spend most of your working hours sitting on your arse getting piles, listening to Smooth FM, and getting your hands dirty off Ginster's pasty grease.
i do mate, i was a welder in a previous life, too much like hard work for me :)
also, i'm more of a radio 5 listener till 1 o clock then i put some tunes on.

I would respectfully suggest that working in an office where almost every redirect of your job requires to to interact with others in a professional capacity might need quite useful in teaching people how to behave as well mind. Also, is working from home the reason we don't have heavy manufacturing any more?

Has anyone claimed the existing work from home tax break? I’ve had 99% of my tax year WFH so presumably a couple of days in the office doesn’t invalidate it?

No HMRC have confirmed that even if you only work a few days from home you can claim for the whole 20/21 tax year so going into the office shouldn't be a problem for you.

No HMRC have confirmed that even if you only work a few days from home you can claim for the whole 20/21 tax year so going into the office shouldn't be a problem for you.

Apparently, according to Martin Lewis, even if you only work one day at home since April you will get the full year tax allowance. He confirmed that and got it in writing from HMRC. The reason is that so many people are swapping from home work to back in the office then back again it would be too much work to try to individualise it for everyone, so they are just using this tax year as an anomaly and giving the allowance to everyone who applied for it no matter how long or short the period of home working actually is.

Apparently, according to Martin Lewis, even if you only work one day at home since April you will get the full year tax allowance. He confirmed that and got it in writing from HMRC. The reason is that so many people are swapping from home work to back in the office then back again it would be too much work to try to individualise it for everyone, so they are just using this tax year as an anomaly and giving the allowance to everyone who applied for it no matter how long or short the period of home working actually is.

Yeah it was a good bit of digging from ml, he got the revenue to confirm in no uncertain terms which isn't always easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back