Work from home tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its a bit ambiguous as to who is liable for the tax. It suggests its to be paid by employers, so is the proposal a hike in employers NIC or employee tax paid from the usual PAYE deductions?

Either way, the proposals are flawed on so many levels (and incredibly London centric in the reasoning)

Its a bit ambiguous as to who is liable for the tax. It suggests its to be paid by employers, so is the proposal a hike in employers NIC or employee tax paid from the usual PAYE deductions?

Either way, the proposals are flawed on so many levels (and incredibly London centric in the reasoning)
This

The article on the BBC said this

"By working from home, people aren't paying for public transport or eating out at restaurants near their places of work, while expensive offices remain virtually empty."

Not using public transport, no mention of savings in petrol & parking. I'm sure they think everyone is forking our 5 grand a year for a train season ticket to & from the home counties.

Eating out in restaurants? Who the fuck does this on a regular basis? Everyone in our office either brings their own bait or goes to greggs

Last edited:
What an incredibly poorly justified proposal.

"That means remote workers are contributing less to the infrastructure of the economy whilst still receiving its benefits"

For a start, If you're not commuting, you're receiving no benefit from public transport you would usually use for the commute.

This sounds like twitchy arses in the commercial property sector. That or it's the coffee shop / sandwich industry, which I've learnt since COVID started is the cornerstone of our entire economy.

Provided it is fairly applied, that means not just taxing PAYE workers, I would pay 5% tax but they should really be encouraging WFH.

Last edited:
What a f***ing horrible idea. If I can work from home, so I'm helping in terms of carbon reduction (exactly what they say we should all do), I should be hit with a higher tax bill because I'm not spending money at a coffee shop? Pile of shite. And it fails to consider that if people are making any small savings from not commuting, they'll likely spend it on other things anyway. Maybe a slightly nicer holiday, more presents for the kids. It's not as if people are going to have loads more money in their pocket that won't get spent.

When I go to the office I bring my own bait in because I got sick of spending £15 a week on meal deals and the likes. My employer has free parking. So literally the only thing I save by working from home is the cost of diesel (actually I don't even save that because I get paid mileage for the commute). Of course by working from home my heating and electric bills will go up. And then they want to bang extra tax on top, making me worse off simply because I don't need to go in to the office? They can fuck off.

What they're saying is that the extra tax raised should go into a pot to retrain people who will lose their jobs because of the WFH trend. I agree with this principal.

Taxi drivers, transport workers, sandwich shop workers and others should receive support to retrain.

What they're saying is that the extra tax raised should go into a pot to retrain people who will lose their jobs because of the WFH trend. I agree with this principal.

Taxi drivers, transport workers, sandwich shop workers and others should receive support to retrain.
They should get a tenner week on top of their benefits while retraining.

Strange one to try and enforce.

I have to pay more to heat my house, I pay for the broadband and everything else work should pay for.

Also my contract says my usual place of work is the office. I won’t be allowing my contract to be updated if I’m penalised.

Suggest everybody does the same.

The article on the BBC said this

"By working from home, people aren't paying for public transport or eating out at restaurants near their places of work, while expensive offices remain virtually empty."

Not using public transport, no mention of savings in petrol & parking. I'm sure they think everyone is forking our 5 grand a year for a train season ticket to & from the home counties.

Eating out in restaurants? Who the fuck does this on a regular basis? Everyone in our office either brings their own bait or goes to greggs

Agreed. As well as the environmental benefits.

Strange one to try and enforce.

I have to pay more to heat my house, I pay for the broadband and everything else work should pay for.

Also my contract says my usual place of work is the office. I won’t be allowing my contract to be updated if I’m penalised.

Suggest everybody does the same.

i think if they change your contract after consultation you either accept straight away for by default after 6 months - or leave.

personally really miss the office

i think if they change your contract after consultation you either accept straight away for by default after 6 months - or leave.

personally really miss the office

They wouldn’t try.

The contract stipulates changes allowed for short term problems only, to help them.

If it’s longer term then they’d struggle to justify not renegotiating the whole thing. Which in fairness I’d quite enjoy the sport of.

I love working from home and if given an arbitrary choice of home vs office - I’d choose to earn 5% less to avoid the commute/ office politics/ interruptions etc. However I don’t see how a logical argument can be made for a tax like this. Not everyone will be financially better off for a start, not everyone will work from home willingly. Working from home is better from an environmental/ climate perspective . It supports work/ life/ family planning better. Unjustifiable to tax behaviours that better support government objectives especially for individuals who are financially no better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back