Work dilemma

Promotion should be based on the ability to do the job you’re being promoted into and not the ability to do the job you’re currently doing (obviously there are typically fairly significant overlaps between the two).

Software development is a good example of this, a lot of exceptional developers couldn’t manage a fart so wouldn’t be promoted on the typical management path. Conversely, a load of bang average developers actually make better managers than they do developers. Thankfully companies have wised up to this and you now get a lot of technical pathways as well as management which allows people with appalling people skills to progress.
I was asked about my goals this year and did I want to seek promotion. I prefer writing the code to herding people. I don't feel I need much managing, tell me what needs doing and if I don't think it is a crap idea I'll just get on and do it.
Really like my new boss, she just lets me and my counterpart work everything between us and only asks what she can do to help.

Promotions are not always management level. You can get technical promotions as well these days. Which can out pay the management equivalent.

Long gone are the days of been technical then ending up managing them.

Lets say hypothetically there was a person working for a consulting company

And lets say hypothetically that consulting company refused him a promotion despite excellent work for the client

What would happen then if said person said - fuck it I will not connect to client and do the work

how would that work out, do we think?
It’s you isn’t it?

When I was middle management I thought I’d made it. Looking back the entire middle management team were just a load of pricks lost in the woods.
Does seem to be the case
Promotion,bonus,even a Well done is rarely a promise in any job
If you feel under valued leave
You can't just not do your work because you dont get what you want

what the hypothetical person is thinking
Promotions are not always management level. You can get technical promotions as well these days. Which can out pay the management equivalent.

Long gone are the days of been technical then ending up managing them.

Indeed, seems to be a lot of full remote jobs going now also

Last edited:
Being passed over for promotion sucks but refusing to do your job as a consequence is unprofessional and could land you in a disciplinary so I really wouldn't recommend it.

In this hypothetical case I am thinking the best approach is to continue working for client but not volunteering anymore for overtime or on call work, while checking with senior management whats going on, and keeping an eye out for other opportunities.
That would be a good hypothetical solution right?

Last edited:
In this hypothetical case I am thinking the best approach is to continue working for client but not volunteering anymore for overtime or on call work, while checking with senior management whats going on, and keeping an eye out for other opportunities.
That would be a good hypothetical solution right?
Not at all, as the hypothetical person has been offered double money elsewhere and a payout.

Seems they are bullshitting.

Back