Work commute

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it can currently take you 45 mins and the new place could be 50 mins away. Yes they’re extremes but it’s not a massive amount. I’d rather spend a bit more time in the car if it meant the time at work was more enjoyable when I got there.
Agreed, 10 mins extra travel for 8 hours of improvement, no brainer

Been offered a decent job and good opportunity but the travel to work is preventing me from getting over excited. It'll be roughly a 50min to 1 hour drive depending on traffic, each way.

To me that seems like a lot considering at the minute I'm probably a 30 to 45 min drive depending on traffic but I don't like the job. I was just wondering if anybody else has a similar commute and found it worth it? The pay rise would cover the extra fuel so that isn't really a problem.

I go Seaham to Darlington every day (45 mins). Very little traffic other than getting into and out of Darlo a bit. No bother.

Used to live in Seghill (Cramlington) and work in Boro. Hour each way. Used to crawl from Wolviston and it was a pain in the arse.

It’s not so much time that’s the pain in the arse but the amount of crawl imo.

I did Gosforth to Teesside for the last 14-months and thought a 1-hour each way commute was easily doable.

Doing it in reality was different; an hour turned out to be a good day and while I didn’t mind an extra 15-minutes in the morning, some nights it was taking 2+ hours.

I like driving and have always had fairly long commutes but the gradual grind was too much for me and I ended up going back to my old job.

Depends on what you're prepared to sacrifice. I spend around 4 hours a day commuting. Pay is good, job is interesting (been doing it for 7 years) but seriously interferes with family life through the week.

Depends on what you're prepared to sacrifice. I spend around 4 hours a day commuting. Pay is good, job is interesting (been doing it for 7 years) but seriously interferes with family life through the week.
Snap! 2 hours each way door to door (assuming everything works). Most of it on the train though so can either work, chill out or close my eyes in the morning, so not so bad.

Last edited:
Been offered a decent job and good opportunity but the travel to work is preventing me from getting over excited. It'll be roughly a 50min to 1 hour drive depending on traffic, each way.

To me that seems like a lot considering at the minute I'm probably a 30 to 45 min drive depending on traffic but I don't like the job. I was just wondering if anybody else has a similar commute and found it worth it? The pay rise would cover the extra fuel so that isn't really a problem.

I worked in Midldesbrough for a year and a half while living in the Tyne Valley. That was actually an easier and more pleasant commute than when I worked in London and used the trains and tubes. It was also quicker. It was about 1 hour 10 each way while the trains and tubes and walk was about 1 hour 30 each way.

I do roughly 35 mins each way now (Doxford Park) and have done for over 20 years now. I really don't see what the issue is. If you want the job and it's progress for your career what's an extra 2 and a half hours per week? You would probably do that extra sitting in the office anyway quite happily if you want to get on and impress? Plus you say you don't enjoy your current job anyway? If you are happier in your new one and its a better opportunity then what's the issue? I think you already know.
My commute this morning was 3 hours 45 mind. I was in Sheffield last night and had to be on site in Newcastle by 9am.

Weather was shite all the way up as well which slowed us up and I had to go via Sunderland to pick up my car. Not recommended.

Last edited:
I'm a 30-40 min drive.
I like it tbh. Listen to some podcasts, wind down on the way back.

One fella I work with commutes from ireland and one from france, lots from 90 mins to 3 hrs or so away (they stay down in a flat for a few nights like)

Your new journey isn't really adding much commute time for a better job like.

It's 35 to 45 minutes from my house to the office depending on traffic, work from home 2 days a week though.

Don't mind the commute as it gives me a chance to wind down after being in the office all day

Since Swan Hunters went tits up
Many moons ago.. i have worked
Many places.. overseas .. Aberdeen
Etc etc.
Now i am working less than 4 miles from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back