Work commute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time is money. Factor in the cost to you, and also any wear and tear on your vehicle on top of the already considered fuel.

Do one hour twenty at the moment That’s when driving over two hours when on the train due to changes

I used to do 1 1/2 hours each way by car or tube for 20+ years. You get very used to it.
I now do 10-30 minutes. I recently had to do a 1h30 tube journey and wondered how I put up with it all those years.

So it can currently take you 45 mins and the new place could be 50 mins away. Yes they’re extremes but it’s not a massive amount. I’d rather spend a bit more time in the car if it meant the time at work was more enjoyable when I got there.

Exactly, sounds like a no-brainer to me

Door to door Mine is one hour commute and would be at breaking point if had to do any longer, disgrace that there isn’t a proper cycle route between Sland newc

Last edited:
Are the hours same as before? If less than the extra commute wouldn't be a hassle. However can be stressful especially if something may go wrong, ie: weather issues.

Are the hours same as before? If less than the extra commute wouldn't be a hassle. However can be stressful especially if something may go wrong, ie: weather issues.

The further the commute, the higher the opportunity for something to go wrong.
Poor weather on a half an hour commute might mean several slow junctions slow down even further and the faster parts run a few miles an hour slower.
Easily adds on ten to fifteen minutes.

Always factor in the travel in working week. For instance if you get 30k for 37 hours plus 10 hours travel it's £12.27 an hour.
If you get 27k for 37 hours plus 5 hours travel it's £12.36 an hour.

The further the commute, the higher the opportunity for something to go wrong.
Poor weather on a half an hour commute might mean several slow junctions slow down even further and the faster parts run a few miles an hour slower.
Easily adds on ten to fifteen minutes.
I walked to work for 30 years. Much less stressful. The only issue was ice, when I went A over T a few times.
I walk an hour to work then the same back. Been doing it for 5 years. Don’t mind it as listen to podcasts/music and keeps me fit. Public transport is two separate buses to get there which can’t be arsed with
And you're the one in control.

I walked to work for 30 years. Much less stressful. The only issue was ice, when I went A over T a few times.

Back in 2010 or 2009 when we had that heavy snow, I worked in a office next to B&Q in Washington. The commute went from twenty minutes to an hour, but I could ride there in the same time as I did usually.

Last edited:
When I lived in Newton Hall, I used to drive to, and from, work in Hartlepool, each day.
It was ideal driving to work at 5am, as the roads were quiet, and it took around 20 minutes, but getting back to NH, after a 5pm finish, took almost 1 hour, because the roads were so busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back