Work and what you write on social media

Erm because that was the original point of discussion. The example I gave in post 86 is about racism, which is classed as a hate crime. That’s the only subject I’ve been talking about. Check back over the discussion
Which I said is illegal and it is.

You brought up the point right wing views or abortion, should be treat the same.
That’s where the discussion diverges
na sorry I think wires have been crossed that's not what I meant at all
Because that's what the threads about. You've jumped in going on about political opinions which isn't the topic unless you're trying to say hating people is a political opinion.
Well the topic is work and what you write on social media, so I was commenting on the more broader topic. The OP gave an example and then a discussion was had about what people think is acceptable or not.

My point was that if something is legal (for example not racist or hateful) then the employer shouldn't really be taking any action, in my eyes of course.

Last edited:

My point was that if something is legal (for example not racist or hateful) then the employer shouldn't really be taking any action, in my eyes of course.

Which I don't think they do anyway, other than where they've outed themselves for taking the piss like calling in sick then having a day out somewhere etc

Which I don't think they do anyway, other than where they've outed themselves for taking the piss like calling in sick then having a day out somewhere etc
I've seen different I'm afraid. We had a manager who threatened to punish anybody who was ''looking for work'' on their LinkedIn page. Bloke was a muppet but unfortunately not everybody in power is ethical

Ok, and if they said on social media they don't support the Trans movement or the teaching of it in schools for instance? My company have even said that they will no 're-educate' us on D&I matters. What if somebody posted something that was against that?
It's going to depend how it is done. The context.

If you state that your personal belief is that you can only be the sex you were born with and that you do not agree with the teaching of it in school then your employer would not be able to discipline I don't believe. Or they could be taken to tribunal if they did.

If however you caused offence to an individual or group that would be different. So if you said trans people were freaks etc.

I work for a certain government department, where our work laptops are locked down to such an extent you can’t look at eBay listings, for example. I’m aware however that our fraud section have special access to all social media so if you’re off to the Bahamas but are claiming you’re skint, you better not post any pics lol

Yeah don’t post anything and keep it private.

Places I work always looks, literally first thing they do

We have software can look back through old tweets

It’s remarkable the things people poster when twitter was first launched that are still online

It is perfectly simple: leaving aside the rights and the wrongs, the legal, contractual and moral aspects of it - all of which can be clarified and/or discussed at your hearts content - the crucial aspect of it all is this.

If an employer perceives what you put on social media as being detrimental to their business or their reputation they may take action, up to and including dismissal (repudiation of contract on the grounds of frustration of contract) and/or declining to employ you in the first place. That creates a situation for you (by which I mean anyone) where you have a choice

1. Post whatever the fuck you like and if the bastards want to do something about it... well we'll see about that.
  2. Be careful what you post and don't say anything that is inflammatory, insulting or that you'd be uncomfortable expressing in exactly the same way in front of your boss and his/her boss

If you choose option 1. then be prepared because there's a risk - of whatever size you deem it to be - that you may need to raise a grievance, make a complaint, seek advice, appoint a representative, lodge a formal tribunal request, go to a tribunal, pay someone to represent you, send letters, perform investigations and issue forms, attend meetings, go to tribunal, speak to reporters... all that kind of stuff. It may impact on your emotional wellbeing, your marriage, your relationships, your ability to seek other employment, your income... etc

If you choose option 2. Jobs a good un. Have a good life.

PS: Discrimination on the grounds of Religion or Belief is covered under the Equality Act so if you want to argue the specific legal aspects of it you'll probably need to understand that first before you choose which option to take, should you feel strongly about your philosophical values and principles and what to do if they are challenged.

A bloke started with us just before Christmas, a wife (nosey kernt) out of the office yesterday had a look through his Facebook page, pretty harmless loads of anti Sunderland pro mag stuff, like “back shift at Nissan, 5under1and etc shite like that” but further back it becomes racist, loads of anti BLM matter stuff and a status about him going to shop at Morrisons because it only had white people on their Christmas advert, also loads of anti vax nonsense and Covid was a massive fake story, proper tin foil hat stuff, should this effect the blokes job or does it not matter ? Too be fair if I was in recruitment I’d be having a spy on social media.
> is a mag
> uses Facebook

Checks out

My social media was screened before taking a job in education, telt them I’m not on social platforms like facey.
I’m on twitter but would never use me name, nowt controversial but I swear too much and hate Tory *****.

We've got a social media policy at work. People have been sacked due to stuff they've posted on Facebook etc.

We pretty much have a zero tolerance. People can have social media but are warned about making comments which are political etc. The reality is, it’s probably not monitored but there is no wiggle room if someone posts something stupid

It may seem heavy handed, but social media is no longer a problem

I used to work at a place that put plans in for a new build office/factory. The Northern Echo did a report on permission being granted. I quote/shared it saying it’s good news as I’d finally be able to use some toilets that didn’t smell like death on a Monday morning. Had a director on me FB friends who had me in the board room over it. He was whinging on saying it reflected badly on the company but I just shrugged and said I hadn’t posted anything incorrect as our current office toilets were minging and had no ventilation. Nowt came of it but I did think he was overreacting.

Back