Work and what you write on social media

:lol: :lol: :lol: aye, yrs ago. Walked into work at 8am, got called in the canteen. The owner and superviser is there, along with a lass who done work for SAFC. "Are you rubberface" i was asked. I said "aye, why"?:lol:they had all my quotes from the previous evening, where i had been slagging Niall Quinn off because he was lying about how many season tickets had been sold...i knew because we were the ones doing the season ticket applications at work:lol: got a warning, the club were fuming apparently. I posted the quotes around midnight, so the club have people on here 24/7man:lol:
Sounds like a sackable offence. 😂

:lol: :lol: :lol: aye, yrs ago. Walked into work at 8am, got called in the canteen. The owner and superviser is there, along with a lass who done work for SAFC. "Are you rubberface" i was asked. I said "aye, why"?:lol:they had all my quotes from the previous evening, where i had been slagging Niall Quinn off because he was lying about how many season tickets had been sold...i knew because we were the ones doing the season ticket applications at work:lol: got a warning, the club were fuming apparently. I posted the quotes around midnight, so the club have people on here 24/7man:lol:
Thought so :lol:

Anybody with a bit of self esteem wouldn't use Facebook or social media unless it was just to interact with family etc! Not worth the risk - just incase HR or your boss is snooping!
Some of my colleagues have been recruiting over the past 2 days and they checked the social media postings of some of the candidates.

It can be quite informative regarding how someone will adapt to a work culture.

A bloke started with us just before Christmas, a wife (nosey kernt) out of the office yesterday had a look through his Facebook page, pretty harmless loads of anti Sunderland pro mag stuff, like “back shift at Nissan, 5under1and etc shite like that” but further back it becomes racist, loads of anti BLM matter stuff and a status about him going to shop at Morrisons because it only had white people on their Christmas advert, also loads of anti vax nonsense and Covid was a massive fake story, proper tin foil hat stuff, should this effect the blokes job or does it not matter ? Too be fair if I was in recruitment I’d be having a spy on social media.
Shouldn't be employed for being thick enough to have that sort of stuff public. Utter dope.

opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.

Personally don't think you should be firing people because of their political beliefs, as long as its always respectful of others in the workplace, but hey ho
It’s a tricky one - you aren’t representing the company you work for out of hours and your opinions are your own.

If you’re inciting violence or racism etc etc that’s beyond the limits. But political allegiances etc is no concern of your employer.

And who’s the judge and jury on this? - your boss might be Tory and you a Commie - he shouldn’t have the power to censor you.

Fine lines here.

A bloke started with us just before Christmas, a wife (nosey kernt) out of the office yesterday had a look through his Facebook page, pretty harmless loads of anti Sunderland pro mag stuff, like “back shift at Nissan, 5under1and etc shite like that” but further back it becomes racist, loads of anti BLM matter stuff and a status about him going to shop at Morrisons because it only had white people on their Christmas advert, also loads of anti vax nonsense and Covid was a massive fake story, proper tin foil hat stuff, should this effect the blokes job or does it not matter ? Too be fair if I was in recruitment I’d be having a spy on social media.
Pretty standard stuff nowadays and I have no sympathy for anyone losing their jobs because of it

It’s a tricky one - you aren’t representing the company you work for out of hours and your opinions are your own.

If you’re inciting violence or racism etc etc that’s beyond the limits. But political allegiances etc is no concern of your employer.

And who’s the judge and jury on this? - your boss might be Tory and you a Commie - he shouldn’t have the power to censor you.

Fine lines here.
bang on for me there mate. Sets a very dangerous precedent in my eyes. Unless of course the account is heavily linked with the company of course

bang on for me there mate. Sets a very dangerous precedent in my eyes. Unless of course the account is heavily linked with the company of course
You know how these things go ….. it’s starts with “just checking the big stuff” , then it gets down to the granular personal opinion stuff and becomes a sort of control mechanism.
They really enjoy controlling staff some companies - think they own you because you’re on the payroll.

You know how these things go ….. it’s starts with “just checking the big stuff” , then it gets down to the granular personal opinion stuff and becomes a sort of control mechanism.
They really enjoy controlling staff some companies - think they own you because you’re on the payroll.
Good point that

One place I worked and had a bit strife (whistleblowing-type carry on), I distinctly remember two of them quizzing me about my personal life and what I did in my spare time and all sorts, and coming out with lines like we don't need to know everything about your personal life you know

And am thinking but you still expect to know a canny bit then? And I'd prefer not to share anything at all thanks as it's not remotely relevant to the situation

Basically trying to trip me up and put the situation in a box, such as he must have some problems at home and it'll be easier if we can blame it on that and ignore what he's said

I would say that it should be down to the hiring company to do due diligence on anyone they employ, if they look like a wrongun, sift them out, if they are applying for Nissan and the likes it might not matter what they have posted previously if they are going to be on the line. If they are applying for Head of HR, it may be a problem :)

Postings made after they have been employed however always come in useful when you want to get rid of somebody, then the disrepute thing is an option.

If I was looking for a decent job currently, I would probably suspend all of my social media accounts.
Yeah I had to remove everything linked to myself that was publicly available as I knew they would check. You'd be surprised what's out there freely available and god knows what I've said 1 year ago nevermind 10. Mind when I worked at a factory there were people posting on Facebook 3 o'clock in the morning that they were off their nuts, then phoned in sick that day, thick as mince. Also some people that post abuse have their work listed on their profiles or they can then be found linked in, asking for trouble if you ask me
I think the moral of the story is don't leave stuff online that can be traced back to yourself because you've used your real name and/or linked to your work. It's not a control thing, just no one wants to employ people that openly put shit on the internet as it can damage their rep, that's all they are bothered about. Companies and jobs are always mentioned if something makes the news

Last edited:
Good point that

One place I worked and had a bit strife (whistleblowing-type carry on), I distinctly remember two of them quizzing me about my personal life and what I did in my spare time and all sorts, and coming out with lines like we don't need to know everything about your personal life you know

And am thinking but you still expect to know a canny bit then? And I'd prefer not to share anything at all thanks as it's not remotely relevant to the situation

Basically trying to trip me up and put the situation in a box, such as he must have some problems at home and it'll be easier if we can blame it on that and ignore what he's said
There’s a whiff of 1984 about this - scary slope.
That said some people in the office itself don’t help themselves - going on about their personal lives and activities.
For over 40 years I kept my home life out of the office. I kept it a mystery.I was polite , professional and well respected by my colleagues , never attended a works bash in my life . Work hard , get paid , fuck off home .

The thing for people saying it’s none of your jobs business what you post etc. It’s a bit like free speech.. you’re totally entitled to post what you want or say what you want. BUT you have to be aware that actions have consequences and that most employers won’t want to be associated with racists, or people posting extreme views. You can post what you want, but you can’t be surprised if it gets you in bother. Employing racists isn’t usually that high up on most companies agendas. It’s hardly rocket science, but then from experience, those posting extreme views aren’t exactly the brightest.

I think what's missing here is whether the Facebook account can be linked to the workplace. Does he state who he works for in his bio (one of the most idiotic things you can do)? If not, then unless there's a criminal offence, hate crime etc, then no, an individuals political stance is not a sackable offence.

A clear company social media policy would sort these issues out. I'm encouraged to be politically active, as long as my activities are not in any way linked to my employer.

Back