Words that you use that nobody else does

Status
Not open for further replies.

The old man uses loads as he was a miner for thirty odd year so uses a lot of pitmatic.

One of the ones I remember is chable as in chable and chairs

"Aircraft" rather than plane. Usually raises an eyebrow.

Father in law was a pilot, and ive picked it up. Cant help myself after years of "correction" from him.

Speaking of which, when did the word "aeroplane" fall out of common usage? All I seem to see or hear now is plane or airplane.
I'm desperately trying to get "ye dirty arab" out of my vocabulary now we live in these more enlightened times. Picked up from me dad. Can't shake it tho.

My Da used to call me a "bloody arab" when I displeased him.
I think that some people think it makes them sound more intelligent or important. It doesn't.
'Myself' and 'yourself' irritate me. It's 'me' or 'you'. Absolute dullards. It's also 'got' not 'gotten'.

And it's "meet", not "meet with".
Just adding stuff on the end like dieded, instead of died, I think it comes from an interview on the local news about someone who had drownded. :lol:

I call our dogs "The Dogses" Gollum-style.

Last edited:
Contactless pay is ‘tap tap’ I started using it about 5 year after everyone else and my mind was blown. Only found out you could use it on the bus a couple of weeks ago, for years I would go to the shop to get change before getting the bus. Thick as fuck really!
Also when kids used to ask where their mam was, it was always she’s ran off with a blackie. That’s dropped out of fashion

Last edited:
I call this place ‘the football forum’ when talking about the shenanigans on here to non members.

I picked up 'git herbert' from my dad to mean idiot or scruff.
I used to live with someone from India who called a light afternoon meal 'tiffin' from the Raj. I say it as a joke sometimes.

I am able to use the word fewer in the correct place whereas everyone else seems just to say less. On the occasion I say less by accident I'll stop myself, apologise and correct myself, leaving them with absolutely no clue why I just did that.
Good man.

Same with me regarding better/best and worse/worst. It's not a bad judge of someone's intelligence/education if they know what you are talking about.

Scissors are 'Knackers' in our house. I have no idea why.
I'm desperately trying to get "ye dirty arab" out of my vocabulary now we live in these more enlightened times. Picked up from me dad. Can't shake it tho.
My Gran used to use the term 'nigger-brown' for a particularly dark shade of brown. Used completely innocently.

Last edited:
We use "indeed" instead of "yes" in our house (From Teal'c in Stargate.)
Also loads of references from Fawlty Towers.

You know, things that have slipped into your vocabulary and stuck. Possibly cribbed from popular culture?

I say “locate” instead of “find” all the time, which started as a joke I nicked from Robot Chicken Star Wars.

Also, salut instead of cheers (Goodfellas) and presser instead of remote (as uttered by @Cheesy Feet’s Mam)

And I call my daughter “daughter” instead of her name, while she calls me “father”, like we’re from the 1800s.

Yours?
Blurt is what I call our lasses fanny.
Doofer is the tv remote in our house
Doofer us what we used to call ecstacy tablets. "Shall we get some Doofers for Saturday?". "Defo, like hew." The good old days.

Last edited:
“Che”-mate

“Rawty “ -crap

“Loused out” -let everything out

“Scentie gob “-someone who talks posh

“Id wetch it “ -translates to “there is no way “

Not words I’ve made up myself just good old Sunderland slang that has been passed down and used everyday in our house and in my circles .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back