Words that you use that nobody else does

I say “talk to” instead of “having a conversation with” which seems to be the norm now.
At work “I was talking to Zoe” where as everyone else now says “I was having a conversation with Zoe.”

Ironically my ex girlfriend Zoe was a complete wad and guess what she was called :lol:
Well not “ironically” but it makes it seem like a better point but you know what I mean.
Err...was it Zoe the wad by any chance? And pics (x2 now).
We used to say yemple for yes please when our eldest was a nipper. Since being a kid I used paulcannel for f***ing hell, but stopped cos some fucker (mag) at work copied it. Our lass (no) got irritated when a colleague of hers used to say going to Asdas instead of asda. So Asda became asdases, Tesco - tescoses, morrisons - morrisonses etc. Originally to wind her up but stuck. JJB became JBBs for some reason. We used to say 'bloodybuggerbum', a hidden swear off Bill n Ben, to the kids. Got to be careful cos that can lead to 'theyflopalot' and 'menobfelloff' if overused. There used to be an advert on the telly years ago where a bloke mouthed 'flora' through the shop window to his missus. We used the silent 'flora' to say ILY but the meaning morphed into fuck off (mostly light heartedly) over the years. Somewhere along the line 'flora' was replaced by 'Hartlepool' so either spoken or mouthed silently hartlepool could mean ILY or, more likely, fuck off.

Last edited:
I say “talk to” instead of “having a conversation with” which seems to be the norm now.
At work “I was talking to Zoe” where as everyone else now says “I was having a conversation with Zoe.”
I think that some people think it makes them sound more intelligent or important. It doesn't.
'Myself' and 'yourself' irritate me. It's 'me' or 'you'. Absolute dullards. It's also 'got' not 'gotten'.

Last edited:
Just adding stuff on the end like dieded, instead of died, I think it comes from an interview on the local news about someone who had drownded. :lol:

Our TV remote is the Troll

My 4 year old also says some words slightly wrong which we have also started using:

Wardrobe = Whoredrobe 😮
Rice Crispies = Nice Crispies
Gravy = Dewberry

Our TV remote is the Troll

My 4 year old also says some words slightly wrong which we have also started using:

Wardrobe = Whoredrobe 😮
Rice Crispies = Nice Crispies
Gravy = Dewberry
'The Stick' round here, reflecting our recent move away from being cavemen.

Someone having a tantrum is said to be 'having a little betty' by me and my brother. Can't really remember where it came from other than seemed to have loads of Aunty Betty's when we were growing up.

Loads of stupid words my Dad said.

Nail clippers are snip snips

Going to sleep is going to peeps

Hors d'oeuvres are horses doovers

Haha, my old man used all 3 of those sayings. I still say "off to peeps" to the bairns.

I've got one or two personal ones which come down to poor English skills rather than making words up for fun.

I've always used the word tret as in "you've tret me like shite" (past tence of treat I guess). I know it's meant to be treated but it's just stuck in my brain and bloody hard to change.

Last edited:
I don't know why it started now but the bairns and me say chipaaaazzzzzz for chips.

Also say fajitas in the high pitched style of Ross when he was drunk and having a meltdown in Friends and he made fajitas. We also shout pivot if anything needs moving.

I am able to use the word fewer in the correct place whereas everyone else seems just to say less. On the occasion I say less by accident I'll stop myself, apologise and correct myself, leaving them with absolutely no clue why I just did that.

You know, things that have slipped into your vocabulary and stuck. Possibly cribbed from popular culture?

I say “locate” instead of “find” all the time, which started as a joke I nicked from Robot Chicken Star Wars.

Also, salut instead of cheers (Goodfellas) and presser instead of remote (as uttered by @Cheesy Feet’s Mam)

And I call my daughter “daughter” instead of her name, while she calls me “father”, like we’re from the 1800s.

Yours?
It's salud.

You tit.
I am able to use the word fewer in the correct place whereas everyone else seems just to say less. On the occasion I say less by accident I'll stop myself, apologise and correct myself, leaving them with absolutely no clue why I just did that.
Top man.

Back