Words that you use that nobody else does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Herbal

Striker
You know, things that have slipped into your vocabulary and stuck. Possibly cribbed from popular culture?

I say “locate” instead of “find” all the time, which started as a joke I nicked from Robot Chicken Star Wars.

Also, salut instead of cheers (Goodfellas) and presser instead of remote (as uttered by @Cheesy Feet’s Mam)

And I call my daughter “daughter” instead of her name, while she calls me “father”, like we’re from the 1800s.

Yours?

Loads of stupid words my Dad said.

Nail clippers are snip snips

Going to sleep is going to peeps

Hors d'oeuvres are horses doovers

We use horses' doofers to mean horse shit.

We also use "dabbler" meaning to have a wee. I need a "dabbler".

Possibly my favourite is a "Halloweener" which is a piece of black card with a picture made from various coloured glitters.

You know, things that have slipped into your vocabulary and stuck. Possibly cribbed from popular culture?

I say “locate” instead of “find” all the time, which started as a joke I nicked from Robot Chicken Star Wars.

Also, salut instead of cheers (Goodfellas) and presser instead of remote (as uttered by @Cheesy Feet’s Mam)

And I call my daughter “daughter” instead of her name, while she calls me “father”, like we’re from the 1800s.

Yours?
Did you get that daughter thing from Californication?
Destructions instead of instructions
Changer for remote
Flibbertigibbet or nincompoop for silly person.

Last edited:

Yours?
I hail everyone at work with churzel or churtz

It’s weirdly caught on and I often hear others using said salutation

People who aren't Yanks who call them airplanes are the worst

Absolutley.
Father in law flew transport planes for the RAF then for Dan Air and others. He'll accept Aeroplane or Aircraft, but call it an airplane or plane and you will get corrected.
"A plane is something a carpenter has in his bag".

Top bloke and huge SAFC fan, but it used to do my head in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back