Wood Burning Stove

Perhaps the fire isn't hot enough to give a good draw from the flue. I've had down draught occasionally when the flue temp has been low. Keep mine at 300C min.

Is it normal/common to have problems when it's windy? Or not?

I had one fitted earlier this year. I had to have one of those metal flue/chimneys, because the house doesn't have a chimney.

I can start having issues when gusts get to about 30mph, but the fire is more or less unusable when gusts get up to about 40mph. Downdraughts don't seem to blow the fire out so much as deny the fire oxygen so it goes out, then after a few seconds it reignites again but not before smoke has blown back into the room. One time it set my CO meter off, which was worrying.

My (HETAS) installer fitted one of these, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The Fluecube - The best anti downdraft chimney cowl on the market

Is it normal/common to have problems in high winds? Or not?

What Leon Solent said might be the case.i get a lot of wind down mine at times and the way to combat it is but burning good, well seasoned wood which burns well and hot. You need to push the hot air up faster than the cool air is getting pushed down (I think)

Obviously don't go mad. Maybe get a thermometer and keep it at a decent temp.

Flue temperature is everything. The sooner it's above 300 degC the sooner you'll have a stable fire with a decent updraught. An alternate is to fit an induced draught fan as a last resort.

Got up early to chop some wood and saw some pallets up so we had a good supply for Christmas and boxing day.

Tried to force the saw through a wood knot and have sliced my finger to bits at the knuckle, probs going to have to go to a&e for stitches.

Been off work for about 3 hours 😄Mrs isn't impressed.

Got up early to chop some wood and saw some pallets up so we had a good supply for Christmas and boxing day.

Tried to force the saw through a wood knot and have sliced my finger to bits at the knuckle, probs going to have to go to a&e for stitches.

How’s the war wound? Is Santa bringing you a rubber hand?

How’s the war wound? Is Santa bringing you a rubber hand?

Really didn't want to go to a&e the morning after black Friday. Managed to stop the majority of the bleeding by clotting it with bandages.

Had a look before bed last night and the skin has nipped together quite well so stera stripped and plastered it up, hopefully that will be enough.

It's still bleeding a tiny amount but I think this is because it where it is.

Just went to Lidl for some kindling.

Really didn't want to go to a&e the morning after black Friday. Managed to stop the majority of the bleeding by clotting it with bandages.

Had a look before bed last night and the skin has nipped together quite well so stera stripped and plastered it up, hopefully that will be enough.

It's still bleeding a tiny amount but I think this is because it where it is.

Just went to Lidl for some kindling.
RIP

Let the saw do the cutting ,never force a tool that's when accidents happen 🤣

Let the saw do the cutting ,never force a tool that's when accidents happen 🤣

Yep, learned my lesson yesterday. It was one of them that make you do a girly high pitched gasp when you know you have caught yourself good. Although surprisingly enough, I can barely feel it unless I forget and bend my finger

Yep, learned my lesson yesterday. It was one of them that make you do a girly high pitched gasp when you know you have caught yourself good. Although surprisingly enough, I can barely feel it unless I forget and bend my finger
Instant reaction is no no no but underneath your clasped hand is a scene like a butchers back room. Recently still nursing the aftermath of a Stanley knife/finger incident.

Is it normal/common to have problems when it's windy? Or not?

I had one fitted earlier this year. I had to have one of those metal flue/chimneys, because the house doesn't have a chimney.

I can start having issues when gusts get to about 30mph, but the fire is more or less unusable when gusts get up to about 40mph. Downdraughts don't seem to blow the fire out so much as deny the fire oxygen so it goes out, then after a few seconds it reignites again but not before smoke has blown back into the room. One time it set my CO meter off, which was worrying.

My (HETAS) installer fitted one of these, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The Fluecube - The best anti downdraft chimney cowl on the market

Is it normal/common to have problems in high winds? Or not?
We hadn’t used our fire for a few weeks, and the weather was wet and windy.

I tried to light a fire but it wasn’t taking, even with extra firefighters.

One trick that I used was to light the end of a rolled up piece of newspaper and I held it at the inside top of the stove.

Apparently there can be blockages of cold air, and the flue needs to be heated up.

Back