Wood Burning Stove

Friends of ours have an old Victorian villa with open fires in every room and they are always on the look out for wood. I’ve a load of old fence boards that’ve been painted a number of times over the years. Will that be of any use to them? Paint has been both water based and oil based. I also have a load of off cuts of green pressure treated wood from the new fence? Would that be ok?

Friends of ours have an old Victorian villa with open fires in every room and they are always on the look out for wood. I’ve a load of old fence boards that’ve been painted a number of times over the years. Will that be of any use to them? Paint has been both water based and oil based. I also have a load of off cuts of green pressure treated wood from the new fence? Would that be ok?
Wouldn’t use any pressure treated wood as they could have potentially harmful toxins in when burned. If the painted panels are not pressure treated they should be fine. The water based paint is just a polymer and wax (both of which will burn off before the wood) and pigments which won’t really burn and are in such small levels they won’t cause any issues

Went halfies with me sister on some bulk buy logs, she did it, possibly G&D. Anyhow, git a load of coal with it. The burnwell blend stuff. I have realised, as I was told, it’s so much better than the gear I was picking up at supermarkets. Just did a quick sweep there & there’s still a few rocks left that’ll go onto todays fire. Loads have mentioned shutting the vents & sticking it back up the next morning. Never got anywhere near that. Giving it a go tonight & I reckon it might work.

Went halfies with me sister on some bulk buy logs, she did it, possibly G&D. Anyhow, git a load of coal with it. The burnwell blend stuff. I have realised, as I was told, it’s so much better than the gear I was picking up at supermarkets. Just did a quick sweep there & there’s still a few rocks left that’ll go onto todays fire. Loads have mentioned shutting the vents & sticking it back up the next morning. Never got anywhere near that. Giving it a go tonight & I reckon it might work.

Once the burnwell stuff is up and running, maintaining a stable perfect temperature is a doddle and cheaper than the wood.

Saying that, the wood is more satisfying to use.

I tend to burn the coal on a cold day when I'm going to be in all day and the wood if I have guests or need a quick blast on the night.

I havnt been able to master the all night thing yet.

Last edited:
I use logs when I have guests, wood from work when I don't want to impress anyone. Currently burning 100 year old fir that was up until a couple of weeks ago rafters in a roof. 100 years seasoned in a dry warm loft, cushty.
I never bother slowing it down to burn all night because it blackens the glass front and I then have to clean it.

Last edited:
Is it normal/common to have problems when it's windy? Or not?

I had one fitted earlier this year. I had to have one of those metal flue/chimneys, because the house doesn't have a chimney.

I can start having issues when gusts get to about 30mph, but the fire is more or less unusable when gusts get up to about 40mph. Downdraughts don't seem to blow the fire out so much as deny the fire oxygen so it goes out, then after a few seconds it reignites again but not before smoke has blown back into the room. One time it set my CO meter off, which was worrying.

My (HETAS) installer fitted one of these, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The Fluecube - The best anti downdraft chimney cowl on the market

Is it normal/common to have problems in high winds? Or not?

I had one fitted earlier this year. I had to have one of those metal flue/chimneys, because the house doesn't have a chimney.

I can start having issues when gusts get to about 30mph, but the fire is more or less unusable when gusts get up to about 40mph. Downdraughts don't seem to blow the fire out so much as deny the fire oxygen so it goes out, then after a few seconds it reignites again but not before smoke has blown back into the room. One time it set my CO meter off, which was worrying.

My (HETAS) installer fitted one of these, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

We have never had issues with wind

We have something similar and lI’ve on hifh ground in Ryhope , I get it going with plenty Kindle then turn down the vents.

can you Not open an internal vent / second vent that takes air from the room?

It's attached to flue outlet from the fire. The flue is inside an old chimney but the flue temp has to be kept high to maintain draw and prevent condensation of the nasty stuff.

Back