Won't buy players in their prime.

I’ve not really got any issues with the financially sensible strategy, but when Mowbray says they all decided two strikers would be enough, I disagree. I know that they’re looking to the long term and I love it, but your league position also dictates the quality of player willing to join us and we want the pick of better players for the future not ones who think we have little hope or ambition of promotion. So poor performances this season won’t help and having no option for change in key positions isn’t going to help us with that. It’s a massive error of judgment and a glaring one because it’s already costs us. As I’ve said before for a team who pride themselves on being thorough this is a massive continual blind spot.

I only think there is a "plan B" for playing without, or with only one striker.

We've bought 100s of players in their prime and it has never worked and they have usually went for nothing meaning the money has been pissed up the wall. I'm okay with what we are trying to do now thanks, even with the understanding that some will probably be sold for big money
Wee's all these players who we've bought in their prime like?🤷‍♂️

Wee's all these players who we've bought in their prime like?🤷‍♂️
Just look the age of all the players we've bought in the past 15 years and I would say most where in their prime, just not very good. If he means we won't go all out and buy our rivals best players then I'd agree, we won't be doing that anytime soon

Just look the age of all the players we've bought in the past 15 years and I would say most where in their prime, just not very good. If he means we won't go all out and buy our rivals best players then I'd agree, we won't be doing that anytime soon
Age as got nothing to do with their prime.

Players like Owen, Fowler and Rooney were in their prime between 17-23 years old.

That's nothing like what I'm saying. You're just making things up, now.
Both Burnley and Sheffield Utd still have parachute money to play with and we simply don't. Any spending would come directly from KLD's pocket. What part of that do you not get?
We get 40,000 crowds and supposedly have a billionaire owner, what bit do you not understand that he won’t spend money though.
I am not saying he should break the bank, but you have to speculate in football and he won’t, if he spends £200m isn’t hurting him.

We could have bought players to replace Stewart . Ferguson told us that we could have Johnson Clarke or whatever he is called for £5million a decent bid and we could have had Yates.
The problem is this regime will not buy established players at the peak of their value because they won't make a profit on them.
They are only interested in buying low and selling high and wont deviate from that so they won't buy established players.
Are you serious??? yes lets panic buy in January and splash out £5 million on Clarke Harris pay hiim £9000 a week 4 year contarct........it will keep everyone like you happy cos we now have 2 strikers and thats what it is all about regardless of talent or finances.........

we ve done this type of shit for 20 years and ended up in a financial mess.......my only saving glory is on this Board you or the minority and not the majority

We could have bought players to replace Stewart . Ferguson told us that we could have Johnson Clarke or whatever he is called for £5million a decent bid and we could have had Yates.
The problem is this regime will not buy established players at the peak of their value because they won't make a profit on them.
They are only interested in buying low and selling high and wont deviate from that so they won't buy established players.
Peak of their value and ability. I’m all for buying players with the potential to get better and okay at the next level up: that’s where our sights should be set. Those two are never going to make that step up
Are you serious??? yes lets panic buy in January and splash out £5 million on Clarke Harris pay hiim £9000 a week 4 year contarct........it will keep everyone like you happy cos we now have 2 strikers and thats what it is all about regardless of talent or finances.........

we ve done this type of shit for 20 years and ended up in a financial mess.......my only saving glory is on this Board you or the minority and not the majority
I fall into the camp that thinks we needed a t least two strikers but equally would have been gutted with a Grigg type purchase just to make the numbers up.

Last edited:
We get 40,000 crowds and supposedly have a billionaire owner, what bit do you not understand that he won’t spend money though.
I am not saying he should break the bank, but you have to speculate in football and he won’t, if he spends £200m isn’t hurting him.
So you just want him to gift a tenth of his entire worth to us? :lol:

Burnley have the benefit of Parachute payments and the Blades are defaulting on debt payments
Nobody says they haven’t, the person that is having a pop is saying that we or let’s have it right the chairman is right not to spend money.
As he could bankrupt us and my point is he is billionaire.
Well the top two clubs have and where ever its come from, they spent plenty, that’s why they are top.
Look at the leagues, most of the time, all the clubs that spend the most are at the top.
Ours has spent nixie.
The football is better through very good recruitment but the chairman needs to make his mind up, is he really going to invest in our club or not.

The same Burnley that made £72m worth of sales in the summer? The same Burnley who don’t have a net spend? The same Burnley who have £70m of parachute money to fall back on over the next three years? Or Sheff Utd who are still on parachute money? You’re utterly clueless if you think we can match that.
Our chairman is a billionaire are we agreed on that 👍

Clarke Harris I can't imagine would have much resale value Yates would've probably been a decent signing though

Age as got nothing to do with their prime.

Players like Owen, Fowler and Rooney were in their prime between 17-23 years old.
They're brilliant players though ,we have had loads of players that were in their prime, just not very good, the fact the we were the pinnacle for them tells you that, there aren't many that have gone on to better things

They're brilliant players though ,we have had loads of players that were in their prime, just not very good, the fact the we were the pinnacle for them tells you that, there aren't many that have gone on to better things
Like who?

Darren Bent?

I don't think Sunderland was the pinnacle of their careers for the likes of Oshea, Brown, Borini, Malbranque, Mignolet, Bendtner, Pienar, Welbeck, Gyan, Kone, Kaboul, etc,etc.....

I'm struggling here, help me out.

Back