Won't buy players in their prime.

Does anyone actually listen to the club strategy
Honestly I despair with some of our support sometimes. First time in living memory of support Sunderland there are concrete foundations when it comes to recruitment and running the club on a sustainable but progressive plan. The impatience of some supporters with very short term memories want to go back and deviate form it without giving it a chance is staggering.

Last edited:

It's not the truth though, is it?

It's nothing like overspending on your wife or girlfriend because you're likely to get some sort of return on your over extravagance, from a wife or girlfriend: (a blowie, a back door pass, or whatever). You'll never get a return by ploughing that sort of money into a football club, unless you're challenging right at the top of the pyramid.

Our billionaire owner is doing things right. Unfortunately, (some of) our fans have absolutely no patience and even less knowledge of business, (or wives and girlfriends, for that matter).
So if you spend less you will a greater chance of succeeding and if you spend lots of money on players you will not succeed.
That’s the jist of what you are saying.
Total and utter rubbish.
You better explain that to Burnley and Sheffield Utd.

You said we had rich owners under Keane.
We have rich owners now.
Under Keqne they were prepared to gamble for instant results.

Gambe by putting the club in more debt than it had ever been in its history. That thinking was what got us into League 1. The function of an owner is not to sink their personal wealth into a club any more than is strictly necessary.

I’ve no problem with not buying players in their prime whatsoever. I’ve no problem with being careful with the clubs money. I have however got a problem with not having adequate players per position to cover reasonable injury-suspension expectations.
Pick up acceptable standard experienced freebies in the positions reqd by all means but don’t write off a whole season for the whole club just because the only one available requires spending a reasonable transfer fee.

5 million for Clarke-Harris man. If that’s the sort of fees we were being quoted for bang average journeymen, it’s no wonder we ended up without a striker.

I’m disappointed we didn’t get a striker in but if you think the solution was bringing in plodders like that for massive fees man :lol:.

Why are people obsessed with League 1 one players, both very average.

And Clarke-Harris for 5 million? Would rather resign Will Grigg for 5million

Also thought to add, we'll sign players in there prime but it will be players like Pritchard, Roberts, Batth, Evans etc players who need building back up mentally but have played a higher level.

If we got promoted and Dele Alli was available and he had the right character etc he would be the type of player we sign, massive risk but if he'd get back to his old self, he'd be smart signing a bit like pritchard in league one.

Just and example the days of signing wank players for too much are over

We’ve spent money on players in there so called prime and that got us to where we were and how we ended up with the chancers.
Means nowt. We’ve picked up freebies before and they’ve turned out to be shite anarl. That also means nowt.
Id trust this current lot to spend the clubs money sensibly over any regime in my 55yrs of safc related suffering.
Burnley have the benefit of Parachute payments and the Blades are defaulting on debt payments
Sheff Utd must surely be punished for their current fiasco? I’d nivver even heard of the player!£25m iirc!!!

Last edited:
We are a giant in that league. 35000+.
As somebody else posted Burnley are massively clear at the top on a great run. They have strikers and managed to acquire another 2 in the window.

When did you last play and manage at the top level?😀

Means nothing when it comes to transfers. Our average yield/ticket sold is in the lower half because we have relatively cheap prices and generous concessions.

If we got promoted and Dele Alli was available and he had the right character etc he would be the type of player we sign, massive risk but if he'd get back to his old self, he'd be smart signing a bit like pritchard in league one.

Just and example the days of signing wank players for too much are over

There's another that shouldn't be touched for the reasons you mention.

I do think we need another Batth or Evans signing or two.

Experienced championship campaigners who know the division, can step in when required and the going gets tough.

I'm almost certain Pritchard will leave in the summer and both Evans and Batthe will be out of contract, Bailey wright is a goner.

Luke Onien will be our most senior player

Who were both frees, as was Pritch. Experienced players will come in the summer on that basis. Even an out of contract Clarke-Harris wouldn't be one of them though.

So if you spend less you will a greater chance of succeeding and if you spend lots of money on players you will not succeed.
Total and utter rubbish.
That's nothing like what I'm saying. You're just making things up, now.
Both Burnley and Sheffield Utd still have parachute money to play with and we simply don't. Any spending would come directly from KLD's pocket. What part of that do you not get?

Total and utter rubbish.
The same Burnley that made £72m worth of sales in the summer? The same Burnley who don’t have a net spend? The same Burnley who have £70m of parachute money to fall back on over the next three years? Or Sheff Utd who are still on parachute money? You’re utterly clueless if you think we can match that.

I’ve not really got any issues with the financially sensible strategy, but when Mowbray says they all decided two strikers would be enough, I disagree. I know that they’re looking to the long term and I love it, but your league position also dictates the quality of player willing to join us and we want the pick of better players for the future not ones who think we have little hope or ambition of promotion. So poor performances this season won’t help and having no option for change in key positions isn’t going to help us with that. It’s a massive error of judgment and a glaring one because it’s already costs us. As I’ve said before for a team who pride themselves on being thorough this is a massive continual blind spot.

Back