Won't buy players in their prime.

We could have bought players to replace Stewart . Ferguson told us that we could have Johnson Clarke or whatever he is called for £5million a decent bid and we could have had Yates.
The problem is this regime will not buy established players at the peak of their value because they won't make a profit on them.
They are only interested in buying low and selling high and wont deviate from that so they won't buy established players.

Good.
We get 40,000 crowds and supposedly have a billionaire owner, what bit do you not understand that he won’t spend money though.
I am not saying he should break the bank, but you have to speculate in football and he won’t, if he spends £200m isn’t hurting him.
40000 crowds yes, but let's be honest here, we give them away very cheaply imo.. take the kids at 60 notes a season. There'll be a lot of put out people if/when we return to the PL.

Last edited:

Nobody says they haven’t, the person that is having a pop is saying that we or let’s have it right the chairman is right not to spend money.
As he could bankrupt us and my point is he is billionaire.
Well the top two clubs have and where ever its come from, they spent plenty, that’s why they are top.
Look at the leagues, most of the time, all the clubs that spend the most are at the top.
Ours has spent nixie.
The football is better through very good recruitment but the chairman needs to make his mind up, is he really going to invest in our club or not.

We’ve just come from league 1, do you want him to break FFP to meet your spending expectations?

Like who?

Darren Bent?

I don't think Sunderland was the pinnacle of their careers for the likes of Oshea, Brown, Borini, Malbranque, Mignolet, Bendtner, Pienar, Welbeck, Gyan, Kone, Kaboul, etc,etc.....

I'm struggling here, help me out.
There's loads , if you think I'm going through them all you have no chance. The op is stating that we won't be buying players in their prime, if he means we won't be buying ready made class players in their prime they are right. we have had loads of players in their primes no one can deny that statement, doesn't mean they were any good

There's loads , if you think I'm going through them all you have no chance. The op is stating that we won't be buying players in their prime, if he means we won't be buying ready made class players in their prime they are right. we have had loads of players in their primes no one can deny that statement, doesn't mean they were any good
So you can't name any then.

Good.

40000 crowds yes, but let's be honest here, we give them away very cheaply imo.. take the kids at 60 notes a season. There'll be a lot of put out people if/when we return to the PL.
Counting all season ticket holders as part of the attendance is ridiculous. A parent paying a few quid for their child’s season ticket will not worry about them going just when they feel like it. Hardly a big waste of money.

It's a pity we couldn't get a striker or two in but the owners said at the outset they are going to put the club on an even footing, we are going to buy cheaply and sell on for a profit, I am happy with the way we are doing business, just because we have a billionaire owner doesn't mean he should chuck it at trying to get in the premier league, I want us to be able to compete and given time this business plan should get us there.

It's a pity we couldn't get a striker or two in but the owners said at the outset they are going to put the club on an even footing, we are going to buy cheaply and sell on for a profit, I am happy with the way we are doing business, just because we have a billionaire owner doesn't mean he should chuck it at trying to get in the premier league, I want us to be able to compete and given time this business plan should get us there.
How much time out of interest?

Until we are out of debt, until we have the basis of a team that can compete at the top level, however long that takes, I'm thrilled at the quality of the team and excited to watch us grow week by week.
We have the basis of a team that can compete, Fulham proved that as do our performances each week.

Our debt is negligible and the money from the premier league wipes it out several times over.

A lot are saying next season should be a promotion push, a lot saying play offs this year

You said we'd signed 100s of players in their prime.
I've asked for examples.
2-3 will suffice.
To quote the op
The problem is this regime will not buy established players at the peak of their value because they won't make a profit on them.

There's loads man, if you want to go and copy and paste all of our transfer then go ahead

To quote the op

There's loads man, if you want to go and copy and paste all of our transfer then go ahead
Ffs it's not hard just name 2-3 players we signed while they were in their prime.🤷‍♂️

We have the basis of a team that can compete, Fulham proved that as do our performances each week.

Our debt is negligible and the money from the premier league wipes it out several times over.

A lot are saying next season should be a promotion push, a lot saying play offs this year
I think we almost went under because of our debt, I don't want to see us risk that again.

Back