Wonderkids from Fifa 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 4700
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fifa is a bit shoot magazine, non of those players were really plucked from obscurity. Football manager is the real gem where this is concerned, that game has a genuine academic value to football, and has in part influenced the way that modern day scouting networks work.

Fifa is a bit shoot magazine, non of those players were really plucked from obscurity. Football manager is the real gem where this is concerned, that game has a genuine academic value to football, and has in part influenced the way that modern day scouting networks work.

No surprise though given SI have their own scouting network, consisting of ex-scouts mostly, so they are just doing the same job clubs do but on a larger scale and then translating their findings into computer game values. Essentially SI are just a football club scouting players on their own, but with a bigger and wider scope to do so.

No surprise though given SI have their own scouting network, consisting of ex-scouts mostly, so they are just doing the same job clubs do but on a larger scale and then translating their findings into computer game values. Essentially SI are just a football club scouting players on their own, but with a bigger and wider scope to do so.

exactly. I was at one point involved with the process of this, and the only criticism I have, and that they are themselves aware of, is uniforming the statistics. It’s quite hard to do given that the scouts are individuals, and that alone is really the only reason for the anomaly’s that pop up, on the whole it is a rock solid model and one that I would trust.

There's an interview with Miles Jacobson on the Quickly Kevin podcast where he discusses the scouting network and how it works.

Yes, I know it was 2 and a half years ago, but most of them are top prospects and are playing for top teams.
So, my question is, how accurate are the players potential/prospect factors for players in games like Fifa and FM?
  • Gianluigi Donnarumma (GK) (Age 18) - Potential 90+
  • Alban Lafont (GK) (Age 18) - Potential 84+
  • Jonathan Tah (CB) (Age 21) - Potential 85+
  • Andreas Christensen (CB/CDM) (Age 21) - Potential 85+
  • Benjamin Henrichs (RB/LB) (Age 20) - Potential 82+
  • Issa Diop (CB) (Age 20) - Potential 81+
  • Theo Hernandez (LB) (Age 19) - Potential 81+
  • Malang Sarr (CB/LB) (Age 17) - Potential 80+
  • Thomas Lemar (LM) (Age 21) - Potential 89+
  • Phil Foden (CAM) (Age 16) -Potential 89+
  • Ousmane Dembele (RM/RW/LM/CAM) (Age 20) - Potential 89+
  • Youri Tielemans (CM/CAM) (Age 20) - Potential 87+
  • Christian Pulisic (RM/RW/LW/LM) (Age 18) - Potential 85+
  • Renato Sanches (CM) (Age 19) - Potential 83+
  • Douglas Luiz (CM/CDM) (Age 19) - Potential 81+
  • Marco Asensio (CAM/RM/LM/LW) (Age 21) - Potential 91+
  • Dele Alli (CAM/CF/LM) (Age 21) - Potential 90+
  • Gabriel Jesus (ST) (Age 20) - Potential 90+
  • Kylian Mbappe (ST) (Age 18) - Potential 89+
  • Anthony Martial (LM/ST) (Age 21) - Potential 87+
  • Leroy Sane (LW/RW/LM) (Age 21) - Potential 87+
  • Marcus Rashford (ST/RM/LM) (Age 19) - Potential 86+
  • Kasper Dolberg (ST) (Age 19) - Potential 85+

I don't play football manager but FM is pretty accurate generally.

FM should be used even if nothing more than a tool to see what prospects are out there and get them scouted and make their own decision on how good they actually are (more than one game). Teams don't know all the players in the world so to have them in one database could be pretty handy. I think I read a thread on here not long back of some company trying to do their own official database like this for all teams to use? Not sure why teams would pay good money to do that when you can pay £20 a year for FM's database which is constantly updated.

What we would need though, are scouts that don't just ask players to phone their mates and who can actually go to games and spot talent. I'd have thought that would have been a minimum for a scout but the club seem to hire scouts who can't...
I'm sure I read somewhere the same database FM uses is used as the basis for, or at least part of, another bit of pro statistical analysis software. But I can't remember where I read it, or find anything about it.

Hope this helps.

I've never quite understood how they fact check it though to make sure the stats are accurate. Wasn't there one when Kevin Kyle was randomly made absolutely class? For smaller clubs they must have to pretty much just go off the say so of whoever compiles it (and even then I'd probably overestimate SAFC players and such likes). I know they do get it pretty accurate, but always wondered how

Its a massive network of over a people that contribute, professional and otherwise that regularly go to the games, youth teams and all. So you will normally have one person appointed per club, sometimes more with one going to the seniors as well as the U23's and another going to all the U18 homes games etc. Sometimes less with less attended leagues and clubs. They fill in their reports on attributes, ability and potential.

With the massive amount of data collated it is then cross checked and placed into a complex algorithm that has been built over 20 years, it is now far more advanced than previously, this helps iron out players like the much talked about Adu, Moukoko etc.

Anomalies can and will always happen but there is normally a reason. Kyle has never had particularly high potential on the game to my knowledge however some attributes and formations can take advantage of the match engine which despite being highly advanced is far more gameish as it would be impossible to simulate properly.

One club no matter the size could not match their network due to the sheer number and games attended, normally for the sheer joy of the game, it would cost too much money and be incredibly difficult to manage when set up over a short period of time.

People will ridicule it but if you went through the last ten years of high potential players, the accuracy is staggering in my opinion.

I remember when Newcastle signed a load of FM former wonder kids.

Santon, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Saivet and Yanga-Mbiwa

Only Sissoko really worked out for them.

I remember when Newcastle signed a load of FM former wonder kids.

Santon, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Saivet and Yanga-Mbiwa

Only Sissoko really worked out for them.

Sissoko was sold for more than all of them were bought for. Ben Arfa instrumental in getting them in Europe as well as Santon playing the majority of their games?

Saivet had been corrected on the database prior to signing and I dont remember Yanga-Mbiwa ever being much on there.

Perhaps they should of continued in that vein?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back