Women Just Aren't As Funny As Lads

Joel Morris on Twitter makes a valid point on the subject.

There needs to be more intake. That will come when the career path itself is more secure. Diversity of class, gender, race depends on paying writers properly and allowing them residuals and royalties again. The industry needs writers from everywhere. But it has to make it a job.

I see. :lol: I'll look out for new members to greet then.
:lol:

I support positive discrimination. I’d support a policy that reserved a job or post or placement or course etc for white working class young men if it was applicable, e.g. a scholarship for postgraduate study.

I enjoy how you call it racist. Quite amusing really. Another one of your edgy, attention seeking traits.

You really are the SMB’s wannabe Jordan Peterson, just not as bright or rich or successful, or popular...
Positive discrimination is still discrimination. Just another roadblock to equality.

Last edited:
"Last year, when reviewing the gender balance of sitcom scripts she was sent, she realised that for every script she received from a female writer, she got five from men."

:eek: And how is that her problem? Is anyone surprised more men are trying to make it in comedy than women?

"There can all too often be a sense of tokenism towards the lone female," she wrote on the Comedy 50:50 website. "Or the dominant perception is that the female is there purely so the production can hit quotas."

She has now changed ITV's contracts so any shows that are commissioned or recommissioned "must aim towards 50:50 gender representation".

Head of Comedy doesn't see the irony in her own statement:lol:

Atleast it's not as bad as when the BBC banned white people from applying for a job :rolleyes:
So instead of encouraging women to step up it’s easier to beat the men down

I'm all for a meritocracy, but I can see the point here - with no females in the room, issues could arise.

But then, I suppose that's an issue for editors and producers, rather than creative teams?

Mind, I still thought Jo Brand's acid joke was funny. I know its not the best time for it, with the recent spate of acid attacks, but still.

I'm all for a meritocracy, but I can see the point here - with no females in the room, issues could arise.
Like what?

Personally I think writers should probably fit the sitcom.

If there is a sitcom about a bunch of blokes stuck alone on an island with no female characters I don't see the need for female writers.

Well, naturally. Though I fail to see the relevance.
Then you should read the posts you quote marra.

"any shows that are commissioned or recommissioned "must aim towards 50:50 gender representation".

Last edited:
Like what?
Personally I think writers should probably fit the sitcom.
If there is a sitcom about a bunch of blokes stuck alone on an island with no female characters I don't see the need for female writers.
I think you might have just gone quite far in order to make a subtle point as black and white as possible there.

Back