Winter 2020 cricket Aus, NZ, SA

Australia got 3 test against Staffers (a) in Feb/march then a test Afghanistan (h) before the ashes.
I get the feeling they either replace Paine now as Captain or he is in the role for the Ashes.

Starc and Lyon both had poor series, and as @The Rat pointed out, were mediocre at best during the 2019 Ashes.

Some big issues for Australia IMO. Warner out of form but usually comes good in Australia. Pucovski looked good on debut but it's one test match, Marcus Harris doesn't look up to the job IMO. Wade is and never will be a number 5, Paine is a never will be a test match keeper-batsman and Lyon and Starc are overrated.

They'll be favourites going into the Ashes this winter but if England can build a bit of momentum, keep bowlers fit (Wood, Archer & Stone) and find a settled top 6 that's in decent form, it could be a very close contest.

Starc and Lyon both had poor series, and as @The Rat pointed out, were mediocre at best during the 2019 Ashes.

Some big issues for Australia IMO. Warner out of form but usually comes good in Australia. Pucovski looked good on debut but it's one test match, Marcus Harris doesn't look up to the job IMO. Wade is and never will be a number 5, Paine is a never will be a test match keeper-batsman and Lyon and Starc are overrated.

They'll be favourites going into the Ashes this winter but if England can build a bit of momentum, keep bowlers fit (Wood, Archer & Stone) and find a settled top 6 that's in decent form, it could be a very close contest.

Big question marks over Warner now as well. Clearly has issues against Archer and Broad

Absolutely aye

Worth saying to win a series like that you have to win all the big moments, and India did, thats what it boils down to really. Taking your chance when the opportunity comes.
I admire your optimism but we couldn't beat them in England in 2019 when only one of their batsmen turned up!

We weren't far off though but for rain at Lords, and we'd just won the world cup, half our team were on their last legs.

No doubt in my mind we'd have beat them any other year but for a world cup year.

Absolutely aye

Worth saying to win a series like that you have to win all the big moments, and India did, thats what it boils down to really. Taking your chance when the opportunity comes.

We weren't far off though but for rain at Lords, and we'd just won the world cup, half our team were on their last legs.

No doubt in my mind we'd have beat them any other year but for a world cup year.

They got lucky in 2019. Smith was freakishly good, Anderson was injured and we were still struggling to find a settled top 3. The World Cup was the main focus that year too and you rightly say that took a lot out of our players.

They got lucky in 2019. Smith was freakishly good, Anderson was injured and we were still struggling to find a settled top 3. The World Cup was the main focus that year too and you rightly say that took a lot out of our players.

Aye 2-2 was a good result

I don’t get this thing about “retaining” the ashes. You either win the series or not

If India drew today would they be celebrating like mad for retaining their trophy, they’d have pleased sure but not like this

Aussies I talk to just say they won the series, they didn’t!

It’s a strange concept which I’ve never understood

Surely Kohli isn't captain anymore?

absolutel no chance Paine captains in the Ashes now
He is captain he missed the last 3 matches for his wife giving birth.

I'm delighted for India as him and Ashwin weren't involved.

Can't believe pant wasn't in the side first test. Or in New Zealand.

didn’t think Starc played in the ashes? Might be wrong mind. Not sure Langer rates him that highly

Back