Windows 7 end of life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tunstall, might give this a go tomorrow. Last time I did it, to a machine exactly the same as mine, it killed it but I need to update.
As long as you have a genuine copy of Windows on your PC, it will be fine and safe to do. Just make sure you click the option to save all of your personal files and stuff, otherwise it will wipe your hard drive with a clean install. It is very straight forward to do with the Windows Media Creation Tool. Just take your time.

As long as you have a genuine copy of Windows on your PC, it will be fine and safe to do. Just make sure you click the option to save all of your personal files and stuff, otherwise it will wipe your hard drive with a clean install. It is very straight forward to do with the Windows Media Creation Tool. Just take your time.

I attempted it when windows 10 first came out, on a laptop and on a desktop, broke the desktop, had to hoy it away. Hopefully I will have better luck with this one.

Loads of vulnerabilities exposed in this months updates affecting Windows 7 onwards. Who’d have thunk it?

this month you can patch. It’s from next month it’s the wild west.

to be fair adobe tend to cause the biggest hassle for patch management on all platforms and everybody’s friend java.

run win 7 on a VM on my mac for work, had a right fuck on today as I didn't have enough disk space to instal win 10 upgrade. after a few attempts I couldn't increase the disk space on that volume either, so got rid of a load of apps I don't use to make it fit... then ended up with the blue screen of death and so on... (all while supposedly working from home 😬)

booted into safe mode and used a restore point from earlier to get it back up and running... will run the win 10 upgrade tool tomorrow. i'm sure that will be a breeze!

If all that fails i'll just use my disposable income to purchase a laptop 😇

run win 7 on a VM on my mac for work, had a right fuck on today as I didn't have enough disk space to instal win 10 upgrade. after a few attempts I couldn't increase the disk space on that volume either, so got rid of a load of apps I don't use to make it fit... then ended up with the blue screen of death and so on... (all while supposedly working from home 😬)

booted into safe mode and used a restore point from earlier to get it back up and running... will run the win 10 upgrade tool tomorrow. i'm sure that will be a breeze!

If all that fails i'll just use my disposable income to purchase a laptop 😇

make sure your vm software is updated to run windows10

For anyone wanting Windows 10 for free and have a genuine previous version and want to upgrade, just download the 'Windows 10 Media Creation Tool' first on the Microsoft web site and follow the simple instructions. (Microsoft keep quiet about this way to still get Windows 10 free the sneaky little tinkers)
Give the love machine a gold star 👍 I am to computers what Jack Rodwell is to football but I managed to install it.
My puter is about 12 year old so it took a long time but up and running again, thanks again for the tip.

95 through to XP I think?
That would make sense. Around the XP era (or rather, when people finally updated to it - because I really liked 98 second edition) was when people moved away from CRT's, and so screensavers went out of vogue.

Couldn't get the media tool to update my laptop, kept getting error messages. Downloaded a W10 torrent instead & it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back