Windows 7 end of life

My work system computer is running on Windows 7 ultimate, I'm guessing that falls under this particular remit? I'll see if I can swap my computer for a one upstairs which would hopefully have more up to date software đź‘Ť
If you work for a big company, they're probably paying for the extended support.

If you work for a big company, they're probably paying for the extended support.

Imagine probably be a smaller company as its ÂŁ20 a machine I think for the extended support.

Big companies would usually just do an asset refresh alongside the roll out.

Imagine probably be a smaller company as its ÂŁ20 a machine I think for the extended support.
Big companies would usually just do an asset refresh alongside the roll out.
You'd think so, but not always. Big government agencies struggle to keep up. NHS is still running some XP machines, and I bet the rest are Win 7.

You'd think so, but not always. Big government agencies struggle to keep up. NHS is still running some XP machines, and I bet the rest are Win 7.

NHS dont have any XP machines I done a roll out for them years ago when Wanacry nailed them.

If they do they will be offline and USB blocked I didn't come across any when I was there.

They are currently doing a roll out now to Windows 10 nationwide but they pay only pay 13-16 an hour when you can get 22+

Just pay for the extended support. Got another 3 years.
we’re looking at VMware Horizon. It blurs all the lines like. :lol:
Edit: along with their Workspace One
Works well but costs a fortune. In the right environment it can save money though.
We are trying to implement a citrix VDI solution to some of our customers but we are having issues. One is that each site has one VDI and a printer/scanner attached. We have never managed to get it to scan directly to the VDI or anywhere else so it seemed. Would Horizon be able to do that?

Cheers
It Can. Via registry hack from what I recall. Not used it for a few years
yup, all versions of Windows 7. Can you not update it to windows 10?

I am sure they would love her at graft doing that.

this.
once your estate gets that big keeping
It up today is a massive cost and ballach. Especially if you have road warriors who never come back to base.

Last edited:
NHS dont have any XP machines I done a roll out for them years ago when Wanacry nailed them.
If they do they will be offline and USB blocked I didn't come across any when I was there.
They are currently doing a roll out now to Windows 10 nationwide but they pay only pay 13-16 an hour when you can get 22+
Wannacry was years ago? Damn.

Why on earth are you running a 32bit version of Windows? You know that means you can only use 4Gb of that RAM, don't you?

But yes, your PC is absolutely fine. I had an 8320 oc'd to 4.4Ghz for years, it was great.

I'm fully aware of the RAM limitations, but the time I purchased WIN 7, I couldn't see much benefit and was used to 32 bit.Most of the programs etc were 32 bit then also.There are still a lot of 32 bit programs running on WIN 10, but as we are now stuffed with no support from Microsoft I thought I would change and go for 64bit WIN 10.;)

theres still loads on Win7, see them daily. They're rolling out Win10 but not quick enough as usual

Wow! You did the whole NHS rollout? Impressive. No wonder you can charge ÂŁ22 an hour.

Ah right. It was the bit where you confidently said they had no connected XP machines in the whole of the NHS that made me think you were a player.

My mistake.

:lol:

You were right mate I'm a proper G

Once again some specs as I did say how I didn't come across any...

Who pissed in your cornflakes today like?

Last edited by a moderator:
They still use XP in many government departments in Russia as they don't trust what they refer to as the "spyware" they've found in later versions.

Companies with E5 subscriptions can still receive security updates, MS announced it last year. Small companies and individuals can also pay for a subscription till January 2023 but prices are on the extortionate side.
Very many UK banks still use XP in cash machines even though that is dangerous. But who gives a shit. The risk is with the customer, not the bank. Surprise, surprise

Last edited:
Very many UK banks still use XP in cash machines even though that is dangerous. But who gives a shit. The risk is with the customer, not the bank. Surprise, surprise

normal answer is that it’s riskier to change them and or it’s cheaper to take a hit than to replace them all.

For anyone wanting Windows 10 for free and have a genuine previous version and want to upgrade, just download the 'Windows 10 Media Creation Tool' first on the Microsoft web site and follow the simple instructions. (Microsoft keep quiet about this way to still get Windows 10 free the sneaky little tinkers)

Thanks Tunstall, might give this a go tomorrow. Last time I did it, to a machine exactly the same as mine, it killed it but I need to update.

Back