Will we ever unearth a gem again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we ever unearth a gem of a player again ie Micky bridges/super Kev? Remember both debuts of both players well. Sticks was f***ing class. Phillips was the boy too. Even remember Craig Russel being decent and Martin Smith. Since Phillips we’ve unearthed no one of note.

Any kid with any prospect of being a gem will be poached before his balls drop!Its the end of the era of the accadamy for lower league teams as it wont be worth it !
The only way i can see is making kids stuck to the club they sign for until they are 21 or they get a % of any transfer fee if its above a capped level ,,this will not happen so i really dont see the advantage of the accadamy!

I agree, another reason why the *reserve* team leagues should be reintroduced, these U23 teams don’t compete at a high enough level to challenge and bring on players.
When we had the reserve league the team was made up first team squad players coming back from injury etc and also the young’uns coming through.

Mate if they introduce the reserve team
Leagues there’s not a chance our reserves will be in it 😂 more chance our first team will be playing premier league reserve sides. That’s the sad reality of our clusterfuck of a club at the moment

We do regularly.

Asoro
Watmore
Maja
Honeyman
Gooch
Hume

...to name a few from the past few seasons.

I think the clue in the title was “gem” and then the mention of likes of Bridges and SKP

Only Maja out of the above list has a chance to be at that level, and even then he was here for half a season.

He was forgetting Henderson & Pickford mind

Fine, you're both now on my ignore list. Stick me on yours too and we won't have to spend the time out of our days reading each other's posts. Job done.
And the award for ‘Mature post of 2019 goes to....’

Will we ever unearth a gem of a player again ie Micky bridges/super Kev? Remember both debuts of both players well. Sticks was f***ing class. Phillips was the boy too. Even remember Craig Russel being decent and Martin Smith. Since Phillips we’ve unearthed no one of note.

This has to be a wind up, no true sunderland fan could forget about Pickford or Henderson

Apart from every single player? (The odd example of people turning Pro in their 20s aside)
You took me to literal. I’m referring to British youth being better than half the journeymen foreigners that get imported. Every local youth product we’ve had has had a lot more heart than almost any young foreigner we’ve had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back