Will we ever unearth a gem again?

harmy

Striker
Will we ever unearth a gem of a player again ie Micky bridges/super Kev? Remember both debuts of both players well. Sticks was f***ing class. Phillips was the boy too. Even remember Craig Russel being decent and Martin Smith. Since Phillips we’ve unearthed no one of note.

We do regularly.

Asoro
Watmore
Maja
Honeyman
Gooch
Hume

...to name a few from the past few seasons.
Maja the only one which is remotely even close to being decent. I forgot about Henderson and Pickford. I was more looking at attackers.

We do regularly.

Asoro
Watmore
Maja
Honeyman
Gooch
Hume

...to name a few from the past few seasons.

Could also argue Martin Wagorn has made decent career for himself in the championship.

Also Conor Hourihane & John Egan came through. Though we deemed all the above not good enough!

The problem we've had isn't producing players it's been giving them the time an opportunity to transition and develop in the 1st team.

Maja the only one which is remotely even close to being decent. I forgot about Henderson and Pickford. I was more looking at attackers.
Sticking with attackers and as we've seen with Maja. It's hard as you struggle to pin them to contracts and the big clubs grab them all on the cheap and send them out on loan. If you look at the premier league over the last decade you'll not have a very big list of strikers who have been brought through youth ranks or appeared from a lower league club and hit the ground instantly. The game in general just doesn't bring through enough youth. When you look at the crap filling the benches from around the world it's a disgrace really.

Could also argue Martin Wagorn has made decent career for himself in the championship.

Also Conor Hourihane & John Egan came through. Though we deemed all the above not good enough!

The problem we've had isn't producing players it's been giving them the time an opportunity to transition and develop in the 1st team.
I agree, another reason why the *reserve* team leagues should be reintroduced, these U23 teams don’t compete at a high enough level to challenge and bring on players.
When we had the reserve league the team was made up first team squad players coming back from injury etc and also the young’uns coming through.

I agree, another reason why the *reserve* team leagues should be reintroduced, these U23 teams don’t compete at a high enough level to challenge and bring on players.
When we had the reserve league the team was made up first team squad players coming back from injury etc and also the young’uns coming through.

Be careful, half the PL want their u23 teams in the football league. Imagine if your senior team were in the same league as Newcastle u23, that would be embarrassing.

Will we ever unearth a gem of a player again ie Micky bridges/super Kev? Remember both debuts of both players well. Sticks was f***ing class. Phillips was the boy too. Even remember Craig Russel being decent and Martin Smith. Since Phillips we’ve unearthed no one of note.
Wonder who produced the current champions league winning captain...

Yes but when they come good we will sell them for a pot of money then waste it
that's not the same as unearthing them in the first place though
you're allowed over age players i the u23's

for example Winston Reid has been out injured for almost 2 years now and has played our last 3 u23 games

Last edited:

All 3 were deemed not good enough because they weren’t at the time. We were a PL side when they were released. Waghorn isn’t at that level and it’s taken the other 2 a fair few years to get there.

Back