Will the likes of Rusyn come good?

His issue is not his ability, but rather our playing style. We have suffered from learning how to play without a CF. He has very good movement and makes really good runs but we very rarely play through balls. If we can figure that out I think he will be excellent.

A lot of our squad were allegedly bought with 433 in mind. Rusyn and Mayenda seem like wide forwards. Hemir, Burstow more central.

Whatever way we look at the squad we are short in central midfield and stocked in the wide forward positions. I don’t understand Mundle unless someone is off.

Clarke Burstow Ba
Jobe Neil Ekwah
New lad Luke Ballard Hume
Patto

Rusyn Hemir Roberts
(Evans) Matete Aouchiche
(Alese) Seelt Nectar Pembele
Bishop

People see that he makes one or two good runs a game and then claim he does it all the time when the fact is that he doesn't. Becoming an SMB myth that he has amazing movement.

If Haaland makes ten good runs a game he might get the ball three or four times if he's lucky, that's how football works more often than not. Until Rusyn keeps making those runs then he isn't going to get the ball all that much. Up to him more than it is the players around him. If someone plays him in and he sticks one away then he'll start to get the ball more often.

He's done nothing to warrant not getting in the side, think he's looked promising every time he's played
One bad game v Plymouth, but he’s definitely looked a decent player.

I think he probably is better as a left forward in a 4-3-3, which is where he played in the U21s.

But he’s also clearly our best striker too. Ridiculous they don’t pick him.

People see that he makes one or two good runs a game and then claim he does it all the time when the fact is that he doesn't. Becoming an SMB myth that he has amazing movement.

If Haaland makes ten good runs a game he might get the ball three or four times if he's lucky, that's how football works more often than not. Until Rusyn keeps making those runs then he isn't going to get the ball all that much. Up to him more than it is the players around him. If someone plays him in and he sticks one away then he'll start to get the ball more often.
He made several v Newcastle, admittedly down the channels, but Pritchard just wouldn’t play it to him.

I think all our attacking midfielders are sometimes looking for the perfect pass, every time.

First half an hour v Newcastle, Rusyn saw that we were getting backed up, saw that he couldn’t really hold it up against their big units, so took to running down the channels, particularly v Burn.

Now, that’s not a goal threat, but it is smart, experienced, striker behaviour. Our players, to a man, aren’t used to it. Because none of the others are experienced enough to understand things like that instinctively. But it’s been so long now it will take time.

He should start. Over time, people will get used to okaying with a striker again. Playing false nines or Burstow - which isn’t much different - is a dead end tactically.

The lad needs service, works hard and makes class runs. No negative feelings towards him at all, doesn't really suit the style we are playing atm. But considering that mainly consists of getting the ball to Clarke and hoping he works some magic... not many would.

Think he would shine in a front two playing off an experienced player like Moore.

I think it's easy to forget the likes of Clarke and Roberts weren't instant hits, and I can't help but wonder if the overall youth and inexperience of the squad makes it look so much worse than it is. We seem to have written off the entire crop of youngsters we signed in the summer as not being good enough and even the slightly older ones like Ba.

But while one swallow a summer doesn't make, the quality of Rusyns goals in the u21s suggest there is clearly a player there.

I guess what I'm wondering is whether our expectations and patience is too high and short or whether they are being stifled by the inexperience heavy system we play.

Thoughts?
Don’t think Rusyn will ever nail down central striker role… he needs to play wide of a central striker and that is not going to happen with Clarke/ Roberts/ Ba available

Scored twice against Leeds (21`s game) could have had a third but was offside. Rigg, Pembele, Hemir also played but didn't score.

He needs through balls/ over the top to run onto ideally (stating the obvious I know). A goal scorer I reckon.

Yes, just needs to be given a run in the team, a lot of unnecessary pressure on some of these young lads, knowing that even if they play well or score they might be out of the team next game. Especially when you have Jobe getting picked every game regardless of form, they must think wtf at times.

Aye. He's clearly a Vardy-type striker who needs through balls to run on to. To play to that strength you have to set up accordingly. But we're almost the opposite usually, with tricky but slowish build-up down the wings.
We played a few through balls in the last match, unfortunately he wasn't playing. If that is the plan going forward though, it can only benefit him.

Back