Will Grigg to the National League

I know his history with you guys is well documented and it didn’t go well but he’s been brilliant for us this season. Yes he’s scored plenty but his work rate, link up play up top on his own and his reading of the game is a level above the defenders he’s playing against.

Discussed this w @Space Hopper
He was sofa from what we needed, Chesterfield sounds about right for him.

Most from inside the 6yd box and and about 5 chested over the line. I know you guys, rightly, don’t rate his time with you but he’s been brilliant for us this season. Aside from his goal scoring his other play is top notch.

Most from inside the 6yd box and and about 5 chested over the line. I know you guys, rightly, don’t rate his time with you but he’s been brilliant for us this season. Aside from his goal scoring his other play is top notch.
Doesnt matter how you score them, a goal is a goal.

For the level he has played at and still at a decent age I wouldn’t expect any less. If he gave a fuk he will still be playing at a higher level.

For the level he has played at and still at a decent age I wouldn’t expect any less. If he gave a fuk he will still be playing at a higher level.
He blatantly still cares and wants to play. Not sure he’d have dropped to national league if it wasn’t for Paul cook, that’s been the case for a few we’ve signed.

He blatantly still cares and wants to play. Not sure he’d have dropped to national league if it wasn’t for Paul cook, that’s been the case for a few we’ve signed.
He’s at the right level it would seem. He looked decent for about five games when he first signed but was absolutely shit thereafter. Fair play to him for dropping to a level where he could regain some confidence and play though.

I don’t think MK Dons or Rotherham thought highly of him either tbf.

No disrespect to you guys but Will Grigg has proved what many thought, he’s a National League level player.

He’s at the right level it would seem. He looked decent for about five games when he first signed but was absolutely shit thereafter. Fair play to him for dropping to a level where he could regain some confidence and play though.
He didn't look decent like. His debut going round the keeper and missing an open goal was the start of pure shiteness, Offered absolutely nothing. 3 Rd worst signing in clubs history after Alvarez and Rodwell.

He didn't look decent like. His debut going round the keeper and missing an open goal was the start of pure shiteness, Offered absolutely nothing. 3 Rd worst signing in clubs history after Alvarez and Rodwell.
When I say decent his commitment and movement was pretty good for the first few weeks and looked like goals might eventually come.

I don’t think MK Dons or Rotherham thought highly of him either tbf.

No disrespect to you guys but Will Grigg has proved what many thought, he’s a National League level player.
I don’t think a national league level player scores the amount he did in league 1 pre Sunderland move.

His performances at Chesterfield now show that he’s too good for that level too.

If anything he just seemed to lose his drive after getting what was a very good contract for a league one player at Sunderland.

When I say decent his commitment and movement was pretty good for the first few weeks and looked like goals might eventually come.
Massive difference of opinion to mine , Thought his attitude was lifting from the moment he walked through the door. Movement was absolutely shocking too , He didn't really move at all . Heart of a pea. Fkin crap !

Sounds like poor defending to me.

But best of luck to him in league two next year.

Sounds like poor defending to me.

But best of luck to him in league two next year.
More likely good attacking play to create chances in those areas or like last night him being aware to a loose ball in the 6yd box and putting it away....took him 57 seconds to do it last night.

More likely good attacking play to create chances in those areas or like last night him being aware to a loose ball in the 6yd box and putting it away....took him 57 seconds to do it last night.
Maybe, but likely a combination of both good attacking player and poor defending given its non league. Shouldn’t be a loose ball within the 6 yard box if the defence was good.

But as I said, best of luck to him in the 4th tier next season.

Last edited:
I don’t think a national league level player scores the amount he did in league 1 pre Sunderland move.

His performances at Chesterfield now show that he’s too good for that level too.

If anything he just seemed to lose his drive after getting what was a very good contract for a league one player at Sunderland.

Playing for MK Dons and Rotherham at League 1 and 2 level he played 82 games and scored 15 goals.

He’s not even top goal scorer in the National League .

Waste of a contract with us, very poor out on loan and after, but now playing at his level.

Back