Wild Camping

I think it's great, I've got the carbon poles for it and it was a good job I took them that night as I couldn't open/expand my trekking poles at all. Ended up having to use pliers when I got home to loosen them up.
I want the star gazing kit and mesh inner next

I've not camped near the coast, probs because I live in a coastal village so I've not thought about it much. I reckon you could easily find a spot in Northumberland, I've seen spots in Durham you could do it and Northumberland is far less populated/busy.

Aye. It’s just so popular there and a lot more expensive, wondered if it was frowned upon.

Gonna try this fair few times in summer, especially in the highlands as need a few low cost trips.

I was getting a kit list, tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, little camping stove and pot to cook. Any other essentials you reckon? Just be solo like so just want it lightweight. I’ve done a lot of multi day hikes but usually stay in BnBs

Aye. It’s just so popular there and a lot more expensive, wondered if it was frowned upon.

Gonna try this fair few times in summer, especially in the highlands as need a few low cost trips.

I was getting a kit list, tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, little camping stove and pot to cook. Any other essentials you reckon? Just be solo like so just want it lightweight. I’ve done a lot of multi day hikes but usually stay in BnBs
Backpacking is an art form, when you have to carry it all you will find yourself trimming the weight down wherever you can, time after time.

What they've said. I usually find it I get something smaller and lighter I'll fill the space it leaves in my pack with something else. I've been eyeing up stuff to make it easier to transport my tent etc in my inflatable kayak. Going to camp on an island or two in The Lakes this year at some point. Got my eye on Thirlmere and Derwentwater

Essentials are what you've said. Shelter, sleeping mat and bag plus something to cook and eat with. You then have water and food to consider. Clothing is another and what you need to take can depend on length of trip and time of year. My winter mat, bag, clothes are far bigger and heavier than my summer kit.
I usually carry a small first aid pack just in case (never needed it thankfully), a light of some sort, small trowel so I can dig a small hole if I need a dump and a lightweight chair as I like my comforts and my back knacks just sitting without a backrest. I then have a few other bits and bobs.
I could go camping and my pack can weigh a lot less than 10kilo but it's usually about 14/15kg by the time I stop adding stuff I don't absolutely need

Last edited:
What they've said. I usually find it I get something smaller and lighter I'll fill the space it leaves in my pack with something else. I've been eyeing up stuff to make it easier to transport my tent etc in my inflatable kayak. Going to camp on an island or two in The Lakes this year at some point. Got my eye on Thirlmere and Derwentwater

Essentials are what you've said. Shelter, sleeping mat and bag plus something to cook and eat with. You then have water and food to consider. Clothing is another and what you need to take can depend on length of trip and time of year. My winter mat, bag, clothes are far bigger and heavier than my summer kit.
I usually carry a small first aid pack just in case (never needed it thankfully), a light of some sort, small trowel so I can dig a small hole if I need a dump and a lightweight chair as I like my comforts and my back knacks just sitting without a backrest. I then have a few other bits and bobs.
I could go camping and my pack can weigh a lot less than 10kilo but it's usually about 14/15kg by the time I stop adding stuff I don't absolutely need
Thermarest chair kit is mint for that.

That's exactly what happens with me. Spent £100's shaving off the grams then put a couple of cans of beers in :lol:
I've got this route book marked for May - Windermere to Hellvellyn Loop

That looks really good. I did a big chunk of the second half of your route last year camping at Grisedale Tarn, I set off from the Kirkstone Pass car park. Was just looking at Il Bell for a camp next time I head over there (whenever that may be), it has amazing views over Windermere. Was going to go not long ago but couldn't leave my dogs on their own so had to cancel

Back