Wigan make another massive loss

It may well get the stage where simply being well-run is enough to be better than most of the other clubs in the league.
Yes but strong recruitment is key, wasting the little money we have on the likes of Seelt, Mundle, Rusyn, Hamir, Mayender, Hjelde etc and we will struggle.

Spend that money in the likes of Cirkin, Hume, Clarke, Ballard, Aliese etc and we will have a chance of being 4th to 8th every season.

Look as shit as it is a club of that size with the fan base it has is going to struggle to spend next to anything and be sustainable. Look at the loses we made, we'll no doubt make another loss despite massive crowds and second tier football with a smallish wagebill for a club in this division. Sustainability is absolutely pie in the sky.
Wage cap? Bosman’esc.. Just mental fees and wages…

Came into the league in 1978 and eventually had 8 seasons in the Premier League and an FA Cup.

I mingle with a lot of their fans who I respect because it’s just a stones throw to Liverpool and Manchester - they are however a small minority of pie eaters who are mostly City , United , Everton or Liverpool fans.Wigan is and always will be a rugby league hotbed.

The rugby and football fans don’t exactly get along very well either.

Remember when they bought their way out of league 1 by assembling a group of the best league 1 players - with absolutely no thought whatsoever about then surviving in the championship 😬😂
I know a Wigan fan on a Facebook football forum who just about everytime a Sunderland fan posts anything he bangs on about the fact they won the title while we could only win the playoffs, they are a very strange fanbase.

I think it goes back to rugby league being played on the JJB / DW pitch.
Previous to that the rugby lot belittled the non league football team and got it back big time when Latics made the Prem.

WAFC have no real rivals - they’ve tried to make some with PNE and Bolton Wanderers who just laughed it off .

Still , they had success which is quite astonishing tbf.
I know a Wigan fan on a Facebook football forum who just about everytime a Sunderland fan posts anything he bangs on about the fact they won the title while we could only win the playoffs, they are a very strange fanbase.
🤣 probably high on pie crust mate ! My wife’s a Wiganer ( but supports PNE ) - you’re right they are strange……. when you can understand Wiganese !

Last edited:
Came into the league in 1978 and eventually had 8 seasons in the Premier League and an FA Cup.

I mingle with a lot of their fans who I respect because it’s just a stones throw to Liverpool and Manchester - they are however a small minority of pie eaters who are mostly City , United , Everton or Liverpool fans.Wigan is and always will be a rugby league hotbed.

The rugby and football fans don’t exactly get along very well either.
Only came in league year I was born n like many clubs have won more than us n mags since. Crazy really! 😂

I watched a 'world in action' programme the other day and it told the tale of Bristol city in the late 70s/early 80s. It was a tale I wasn't aware of but it should have been taken as a warning sign of how things can turn to shit fairly quickly and lessons learned. Remarkable.

Last edited:
The Prem teams are spending 100s of millions they don't have. Well some of them.
Aye but that's got nothing directly to do with Wigan or any club in the EFL spending millions, 2 different organisations with different rules, stupid bit you can't really blame Premier League for Wigan issues.

Look as shit as it is a club of that size with the fan base it has is going to struggle to spend next to anything and be sustainable. Look at the loses we made, we'll no doubt make another loss despite massive crowds and second tier football with a smallish wagebill for a club in this division. Sustainability is absolutely pie in the sky.
The only way to lead a profitable existence outside the premier league is to have a transfer policy where you sign young, unheard of players, try to develop them and sell them on a lt a large profit.

Surprised nobody has had that idea before now to be honest.

The only way to lead a profitable existence outside the premier league is to have a transfer policy where you sign young, unheard of players, try to develop them and sell them on a lt a large profit.

Surprised nobody has had that idea before now to be honest.
Bit shit for the fans of that model when the best it will get you is mid table mediocrity.

And no I don't know what the answer is.

Back