Wickets to be renamed 'outs' for The Hundred

I've backed the hundred an will still watch it but these changes are ridiculous and a joke, no way anyone can get behind that
I will watch the games on the free to view channel. I just don’t see how filling foreign coaches and overseas t20 merchants pockets will encourage a young lad or lass to want to play for their county

I suppose 'steaming pile of shite' fits with the ECBs business plan so fair enough

It's a well worn marketing tool. You claim no broadcaster will put cricket on free to air telly in order to give a USP.

And by the time broadcasters like ITV and C4 say 'Wait? what? We'd love some cricket, we've bid for cricket and you said we couldn't have any so we showed the Caribbean Premier League instead. Which is cricket' the lie is out and is accepted as truth.

See also: Brexit

The majority of games are going to be on Sky, is it 8 that are on the BBC?

It's almost as if the whole free to air thing was a massive steaming pile of horseshit designed to turn heads.

10 mens, 8 womens plus a few T20 internationals. That’s 60+ hours of cricket that Giles Clarke never managed, a fair balance between cash and getting decent viewing figures at last.

I wonder how Sky feel about all this. Changes after they've signed a contract which are just making this an even bigger laughing stock than it already was. I hope Sky didn't pay too much to broadcast this. They must be aware of public opinion. An expensive white elephant.

Their was an excellent point made by someone one here, it's almost as if the ECB hate the sport they are running. Look at their disregard of the test format in the winter.

People said about the the blast when it started and now it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

People don’t like change but change is needed to get more people into the game.

How people cannot see local club cricket participation is falling year after year is beyond me and that something needs to be done
I ran home from school to watch the ashes in 2005 as 12 year old.

Participation is down as video games and phones rule the world a lot more than they did then.

Kids want to be tik tokers and YouTubers or professional video games. FIFA is massive in kids liking football as they at with their mates for hours.

I know I would have been at that age and cricket wouldn't have mattered

Youth teams stopped at my club at 16 and it became difficult for me to play.

Football doesn't and can stay playing with their mates rather than boring Saturday and Sundays afternoon fielding with blokes you don't know.

That's down to clubs not having funding.

If the ECB had plowed this money I to grassroots youth teams or cricket programmes in schools, they'd have been better off.

We barely played cricket once I went to high school at 13 but I was already hooked.

We did plenty of blue stump and orange ball cricket in middle school. Did tournaments and was plenty of fun.

Last edited:
10 mens, 8 womens plus a few T20 internationals. That’s 60+ hours of cricket that Giles Clarke never managed, a fair balance between cash and getting decent viewing figures at last.
By choice.

They told us it wasn't possible to put the Blast on free to air. They told us no terrestrial broadcaster wanted to show T20 cricket. It was total bollocks, as the broadcasters themselves said.

Why do you think the ECB lied about it?

By choice.

They told us it wasn't possible to put the Blast on free to air. They told us no terrestrial broadcaster wanted to show T20 cricket. It was total bollocks, as the broadcasters themselves said.

Why do you think the ECB lied about it?

The broadcasters were fine with T20 but wanted franchises if you listen to Simon Hughes (and Ive no reason not to). My bigger problem is the daft format and bastardisation of the game rather than the fact there are only 8 teams.

My general point remains that it’s less shite than what Giles Clarke did though, imo.

I just can’t get my head round this.
There’s already a hugely successful short form of the game called T20 with 120 balls per innings.
Hugely successful with national teams and with IPL and Big Bash.
If they were going down the franchise route and with all the razzmatazz which is fine why not just base it on that, the already successful?
Yet these clowns are trying to reinvent the thing into an even shorter form and change the f***ing language.
Apparently using “out” is easier to understand for young people than “wicket”.
These morons who are driving this absolute nonsense should be hung, drawn and quartered.

If they wanted shorter than T20 why not go for the 90-90 where it's 15 overs per team and the game still actually resembles cricket? It seems like we're trying to reinvent the game because someone at the top has a fascination with the name 'The Hundred'

The broadcasters were fine with T20 but wanted franchises if you listen to Simon Hughes (and Ive no reason not to). My bigger problem is the daft format and bastardisation of the game rather than the fact there are only 8 teams.

My general point remains that it’s less shite than what Giles Clarke did though, imo.

Simon Hughes (who was pushing for the 16.4 a few years ago) did say that, and was immediately slapped down by the broadcasters. That's one of the lies I was on about.

The incompetence of Giles Clark shouldn't be the benchmark to judge anything!

Simon Hughes (who was pushing for the 16.4 a few years ago) did say that, and was immediately slapped down by the broadcasters. That's one of the lies I was on about.

The incompetence of Giles Clark shouldn't be the benchmark to judge anything!

Yeah, Hughes has admitted he feels guilty about the 16.4 and thinks it was a bad idea.

Never seen any BBC Exec contradicting him and saying they would have done the county game on its prime channels though.

I’d just like to remind people that Andrew Flintoff has kindly found time in his busy schedule being a lad and faking illness, to be one of the flagships of Sky’s coverage.

That’s Andrew Flintoff folks, who since retirement has made a living out of being top of the ladz banter and dismissing cricket as boring at every opportunity.

He will be supported in the commentary box by well known pacifist Kevin Pietersen. Famous for his collaboration, team ethic, modesty and let’s not forget the author of such literacy genius including a chapter in his book named “Flower, as in Dour” along with other remarkable contributions including “What’s that Matt, oh it’s the worlds smallest violin playing just for you” and “The big cheese melting in the sun like dairylea”.

It’s going to be great.

Back