Why don’t the 14 clubs in the top flight...

If the top six went into a European super league you could have two cracking and competitive leagues of 20 with the 14 who are left, the 24 Championship clubs and two from L1.

Properly organised and run it wouldn't matter about the revenue loss as you wouldn't need it to either get into the top league or stay in it once you get there.
I agree, but it would need a canny TV deal to keep it going and attract decent players. Sound familiar?

Yeah they are probably vulnerable. Does this say anything about other European leagues if we have teams reaching European finals who may be going backwards in the league?
To an extent it does however some teams don’t take the Europa league as seriously as others. The reason I suggested Chelsea going backwards is purely the fact they can’t buy players next 2 transfer windows, and they are on course to lose their best player, that will be very detrimental.

If the top 4/6 fucked off to a super league, it would absolutely cripple English football.

Overseas broadcasters won’t pay billions to watch the like of Sam Vokes and David Nugent battle it out to be league champions.

If anything we should be handing a disproportionate amount of the money to the top teams in the hope it convinces them to stay.

If the top 4/6 fucked off to a super league, it would absolutely cripple English football.

Overseas broadcasters won’t pay billions to watch the like of Sam Vokes and David Nugent battle it out to be league champions.

If anything we should be handing a disproportionate amount of the money to the top teams in the hope it convinces them to stay.
Absolutely unbelievable. You would rather man city and Liverpool have more money to thrash Sunderland as long as Bernardo Silva stays in the country. Really what you want?

Strange time to bring this up. We've just seen two of the best Champions League semi finals, and there's four English teams contesting the two European Cup finals. None of whom are the side who just won the treble.

We've just seen a superb title race, not to mention some brilliant play offs, including Sunderland going back to Wembley.

But aye, football is boring.

So? Just cut your cloth accordingly. Pay less wages. Sounds fine by me

Which means reduced viewing figures, worsening on field performances and then reduced crowds, leading to reduced income, even less money to spend and even worse players....

Saying “pay less wages” when football is a multi billion pound, multi national business is staggeringly naive and no business owner would voluntarily choose to make their income worse.

I agree, but it would need a canny TV deal to keep it going and attract decent players. Sound familiar?
Forgive me for wanting to watch a decent standard of football.
You could watch Spanish football if they all Fu*k off there. Or the super League formed. Personally I want SAFC to win the league.

Which means reduced viewing figures, worsening on field performances and then reduced crowds, leading to reduced income, even less money to spend and even worse players....

Saying “pay less wages” when football is a multi billion pound, multi national business is staggeringly naive.
It doesn't have to be. Pay according to your income the same as every business in the world.

You could watch Spanish football if they all Fu*k off there. Or the super League formed. Personally I want SAFC to win the league.

I don’t want to watch Spanish football. I don’t like the style of play. Funnily enough, it’s a much weaker league than ours when you look beyond Real and Barça.

We all want safc to win the league but the standard of football in league 1 is appalling, and would only get worse with no tv rights money - see the Scottish Leagues for an example.

If that’s what the standard devolves to, I’d just jack it in. You can’t tell me watching a shit standard of football is the best way to spend your spare time?

The only way you’ll get a level playing field is if Europe’s top clubs agree to a closed super league and they’ll be on a level playing field

It doesn't have to be. Pay according to your income the same as every business in the world.

They do. That’s why all premier league clubs make profits.

Yet you seem to think that this has nothing to do with the fact that City Liverpool and the like are in that division which is just ludicrous.

So you’re happy that the best you can ever hope for as a Sunderland fan is mid-table mediocrity in the top flight? Fair play if you are.

Sunderland have been mid table mediocrity on a consistent basis since the 1920s with a few exceptions in the 30s and 50s. So what has modern football changed things

I don’t want to watch Spanish football. I don’t like the style of play. Funnily enough, it’s a much weaker league than ours when you look beyond Real and Barça.

We all want safc to win the league but the standard of football in league 1 is appalling, and would only get worse with no tv rights money - see the Scottish Leagues for an example.

If that’s what the standard devolves to, I’d just jack it in. You can’t tell me watching a shit standard of football is the best way to spend your spare time?

Atletico Madrid are 8 points ahead of Real by the way.

Being honest the only thing letting this season down is the tactics deployed by the manager on occasions. The other play off between Charlton and Donny was riveting stuff. I'd have no issues whatsoever going between two competitive leagues where at the start of each season maybe 10 clubs could realistically aim for top spot. OK, we lose the glamour players but for me the Championship has proved this season that there's definitely a life beyond the PL as it exists today. Personally I'm genuinely indifferent about getting there again.

Back