Why do suspected criminals say 'No Comment'?

I know they are - they are very different, I`m not saying they aren`t. I`m just saying the basic right to silence and the right not to incriminate oneself applies in both countries.
No it doesn't. That is the whole point.

The right of silence is very different in both jurisdictions .

At basic level in one jurisdiction adverse inferences may be drawn in certain circumstances, in the other no adverse inferences can be drawn.

Notice any difference yet?

Last edited:

No it doesn't. That is the whole point.

The right of silence is very different in both jurisdictions .

At basic level in one jurisdiction adverse inferences may be drawn in certain circumstances, in the other no adverse inferences can be drawn.

Notice any difference yet?
Subtle differences yes but the basic right is the same just that the consequences are slightly different. It`s been a LONG time since I studied criminal law.

Not really.
In the Rittenhouse case the prosecution tried to question him on him not commenting before the trial. The judge kicked the jury out while he read him the riot act and the defence pushed for a mistrial.

If that had happened in the UK no one would care.
Fair comment

I assumed that the reason legal bods advise all clients to say no comment was because if they only told the guilty ones to do that it would be a massive clue to the busies that they had the right fella.

I assumed that the reason legal bods advise all clients to say no comment was because if they only told the guilty ones to do that it would be a massive clue to the busies that they had the right fella.
The clue is in your right to silence, “You do not have to say anything unless you wish to do so, but anything you do say will be taken down and may be given in evidence.”

it’s your right to keep your gob shut and does not in any way suggest your guilt if you do so.

The clue is in your right to silence, “You do not have to say anything unless you wish to do so, but anything you do say will be taken down and may be given in evidence.”

it’s your right to keep your gob shut and does not in any way suggest your guilt if you do so.
It’s possible you’ve taken my post a tad more seriously than it was intended.

Last edited:
If I ever end up getting nicked in Luton off the 24 hours lot, I’d definitely be going no comment. All they seem to do is jump to conclusions on what has happened, and throw opinions about like confetti.

I got arrested in town when I was 18 (late 90’s), for something I genuinely didn’t do on a night out. The whole thing was a farce, the police collected evidence that would have had my finger prints on if I’d done it, but surprise surprise, no prints.

I’d been positively ID’d by a witness, and the police were convinced I’d done it.

My learnings were:

• They deliberately downplayed the severity, and interviewed me without any legal representation
  • They asked me to take a caution, demanded I take a caution, then appear red in my cell effing and jeffing at me to take a caution - something which would have stopped me doing the job I do now if I had.
  • Some of them were a bit thick.
I’d definitely just go no comment given my chance again.

I mean as much as it infuriates me when I see it on TV, they are under no obligation to say anything and not sure why they would potentially incriminate themselves.

There's a barrister on youtube who says that even as a witness, you should say 'no comment' in a police interview. They are looking for 'somebody' to convict, and if you are near the crime scene....you are a potential suspect. (The coppers wont tell you this though).

yep, its amazing the amount of idiots in the general public that still think that must mean the person is guilty

Something I've always wondered is are you required to say no comment to every question or can you just state at the beginning of the interview you will respond in writing only when you have reviewed all information that the police have on you.
Seen one once where the suspect just sat in silence while the police asked questions so I guess you can.

Back