Why do suspected criminals say 'No Comment'?

I often don't know where I was at a specific date and time. Without my phone calendar or something to remind me, I may well get a question like this wrong despite not being at the crime scene.
Well then clearly you say nowt .
But if you knew something that would stop the interview dead you'd speak up and go home
I watch American police videos and the most common thing the criminals say is " I didn't do nothing " which is an admission of guilt.
We all do something
Every day
No laws broke though

Last edited:
Yes. And you'd do well to heed the same advice if you were unlucky to find yourself in a situation regarding the police. Police want a result.

I'm sorry but I don't answer questions - is all they need to hear until then.

Its usually rubbish advice especially if theyre open for an out of court disposal. Usually when things go to interview theres enough to go to court.
The big problem is courts dont draw enough inference from it and should punish it more if found guilty. Early guilty plea should only be considered in interview

The general principle of the right to silence and not to incriminate oneself certainly does apply here as much as it does America. American law is obviously very different in many areas but on this area it certainly applies to both.
It's much more powerful there. It's a constitutional right. Here it could lead to a direction of negative interference.

The general principle of the right to silence and not to incriminate oneself certainly does apply here as much as it does America. American law is obviously very different in many areas but on this area it certainly applies to both.
They are very different legal systems and the general principals are very different.

Trust me, I have been in interviews under caution in both jurisdictions and what applies in one jurisdiction is very different to what applies in the other.

Top lads don’t no comment stuff now mate. It’s not the 90’s
The ones you see on telly who do it all get big sentences.
Who are these "top lads"

No one gets a long sentence for no commenting an interview. They get long sentences because they are convicted of serious offences.

Last edited:
For 99.9% of the worlds law abiding population, it absolutely does.

I used to think like that, right up until someone I didn't know or had even heard of before gave them my address as his own, which they were too lazy/incompetent/both to verify, & then did a bunk when they bailed him.

Even after I established my identity they decided I was helping this other person & harassed me for a couple of months until I got a solicitor involved.

They are very different legal systems and the general principals are very different.

Trust me, I have been in interviews under caution in both jurisdictions and what applies in one jurisdiction is very different to what applies in the other.

Who are these "top lads"

No one gets a long sentence for no commenting an interview. They get long sentences because they are convicted of serious offences.
I know they are - they are very different, I`m not saying they aren`t. I`m just saying the basic right to silence and the right not to incriminate oneself applies in both countries.

Isn't the general rule that you no comment until the evidence is all laid out, if it's a load of shit ie. a text means you stabbed someone then continue no commenting, if there's evidence there ie. you stabbing the person on CCTV then you'd probably be better talking and trying to reduce the charge, as no way in hell are you getting out of it, ie it wasn't pre planned and so on.

Who are these "top lads"

I know. And they usual say no comment like tits.

Back