Why do people like Star Wars so much?

It's not what it used to be.
I've never been a fan of them but I suppose I can understand why people who saw them as kids love the originals. The more recent ones are absolutely shit, pumped out year after year with the sole aim of raking in cash from people who loved the first three. Disney are over-saturating the brand, just like Marvel with their superheroes.

I've never been a fan of them but I suppose I can understand why people who saw them as kids love the originals. The more recent ones are absolutely shit, pumped out year after year with the sole aim of raking in cash from people who loved the first three. Disney are over-saturating the brand, just like Marvel with their superheroes.

Sounds accurate. And people are scared to say it's rubbish incase they get an army of angry robots attacking them

In fairness, the Marvel ones seem to be getting better as they go on. They started off as OK kids' action flicks but the latest "phase" has been incredible.

I agree about the Star Wars movies. The original trilogy was amazing, the three prequels were long overdue and utter shite, and the latest ones have been just cash cows playing on nostalgia: arguably better than the prequels but still not a patch on the original trilogy.

Not sure what the big deal is with it. I've seen some of them and the acting is bad, rubbish special effects and dull stories.
That one with the fighting teddy bears in was ok, but a bit far fetched.
Any trekkies care to explain what the big deal is?

Star trek
Star wars
Harry potter
Lord of the rings

Haven’t seen a single second of any of these films

I remember going to see The Phantom Menace at Stockton showcase cinema. We'd been to pizza hut either before or after and they had a 7 foot jar jar binks model.

Later as we were sat in the car, I looked up and there was a lad running along the front of pizza hut carrying jar jar arms round the middle of his legs and upright. Was funny as fuck at the time seeing him try to nick it with pizza hut staff chasing him

Last edited:
Good vs evil. Evocative score. Well executed action sequences. Novel setting.

Disagree that the acting is an issue. Sir Alec, Harrison, Carrie and Mark all have the chops.

The original at the movies was incredible at the time. You have to remember we're talking about 1977, 42 years ago. There was no internet showing trailers or the like. You might see a mention of it on the news but you literally went to see it knowing nothing other than everyone was talking about it.
It was the only movie my old man took me to and it was amazing. I was only 6. The lights went out, the anticipation around Stanley Civic Hall was incredible and then it began........

There was hell on when the familiar ad music kicked in :lol:

Last edited:
Rogue One and Star Wars are class.
Empire Strikes Back is good.
The last hour of Revenge of the Sith is good.
Only reason to watch Return of the Jedi is to see Leia in a bikini.

Rest are shite.

The original at the movies was incredible at the time. You have to remember we're talking about 1977, 42 years ago. There was no internet showing trailers or the like. You might see a mention of it on the news but you literally went to see it knowing nothing other than everyone was talking about it.
It was the only movie my old man took me to and it was amazing. I was only 6. The lights went out, the anticipation around Stanley Civic Hall was incredible and then it began........

There was hell on when the familiar ad music kicked in :lol:
For 77 the effects were great, the storyline was big (good vs evil on a cosmic scale), brilliant characters, sad moments, comedy, amazing action scenes. The first film was strong enough to create a massive fanbase. The second built on that and the third was okay to carry it on. Then a huge gap to build on it meaning any subsequent shit wouldn't destroy it.

Back