Why do people like Star Wars so much?

Not sure what the big deal is with it. I've seen some of them and the acting is bad, rubbish special effects and dull stories.
That one with the fighting teddy bears in was ok, but a bit far fetched.
Any trekkies care to explain what the big deal is?
If ever a post screamed 'I've seen all of the Star Wars films, didn't mind them, know exactly who everyone is in them but I'm too cool to admit it'.

"Trekkies".

What a funny guy.

I bet he knows which Gallagher brother is which.
That's easy. One is called Ant and the other is called Dec.
I remember going to see The Phantom Menace at Stockton showcase cinema. We'd been to pizza hut either before or after and they had a 7 foot jar jar binks model.

Later as we were sat in the car, I looked up and there was a lad running along the front of pizza hut carrying jar jar arms round the middle of his legs and upright. Was funny as fuck at the time seeing him try to nick it with pizza hut staff chasing him
Jar Jar Binks? That was Prince Andrew you silly begger.

Last edited:
If ever a post screamed 'I've seen all of the Star Wars films, didn't mind them, know exactly who everyone is in them but I'm too cool to admit it'.

Yeah you got me there, Dr Freud.
As I've said elsewhere in the thread I saw the first 3, i liked them as a child, saw them again when i was grown up and realised what a pile of rubbish they are. Saw one of the newer ones with Ewan McGregor in and that was dreadful. Started the thread because I don't understand why all the hype about a film series which is so bad.

Coz it's just a filum good guys bad guys fantasy monsters magic comedy romance It has something for pretty much everyone.

I don't get the thing over frozen but lots seem to like that. Each to their own I guess

People enjoy them. Just like some people enjoy Star Trek, the godfather, twilight, Harry Potter, romcoms, Veganism or soft core drugs.

that’s what makes everybody different.im sure there’s plenty of stuff you are into that the majority doesn’t get.
Are they the best films in the world? Probably not, but people love them so there must be something there.

Even the names 'Star Wars', Luke Sky Walker', 'Death Star' are ridiculous.
Return of the Jedi was an absolute joke. Watched it with my boy and even he laughed and asked how the little teddies could defeat the nasty baddies with bamboo sticks and boulders / lumps of papier mache.
Utter shit.

Interesting Star Wars fact, based on a true story.

I read that the whole thing was improvised, including the action sequences
Even the names 'Star Wars', Luke Sky Walker', 'Death Star' are ridiculous.
Return of the Jedi was an absolute joke. Watched it with my boy and even he laughed and asked how the little teddies could defeat the nasty baddies with bamboo sticks and boulders / lumps of papier mache.
Utter shit.

Exactly. Like a 5 year old has came up with it

Anyone who watched the films in the last 10 years for the first time simply won't get it.

You either had to watch it at the time, or watch it as a kid over the following ~10 years or so.
Beyond that, things had moved on, and it couldn't ever have the same impact.

I get the feeling I have the same effect from watching the Godfather only a few years ago. It wasn't groundbreaking for me, like I'm sure it was for those at the time.

They're mainly utter chod, but the original trilogy is very much part of my youth. Empire stands up reasonably well.

The special effects are phenomenal for the time.

Back